Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schindlers List German Dialogue

Options
  • 01-12-2014 2:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Just watched this movie on TV tonight and really enjoyed it.In the scenes where the Germans are attacking the ghetto a couple of the scenes are in German with no subtitles,just wondering does anyone know what was said in particular the scene where two soldiers are dragging back a young lad that ran off and a third soldier shoots the boy which leads to two of the soldiers arguing in German.Anyone any idea?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I vaguely recal the scene, I think it adds something to a film if this is done, doesnt necessarily mean it has to be subtitled and explained, maybe interesting to know.

Along another line, I wondered how these films or history even is related about it accurately, specifically in Germany. In the case of films that are made outside Germany, there may be images of the swastika, which I understand is banned in Germany? How do they get around showing what may be popular films or programmes that accurately depict or even just depict stories based in films of events that may have occured (ie general war films) without wholesale cutting the film/programme?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

rusty83 wrote: »
    Just watched this movie on TV tonight and really enjoyed it.In the scenes where the Germans are attacking the ghetto a couple of the scenes are in German with no subtitles,just wondering does anyone know what was said in particular the scene where two soldiers are dragging back a young lad that ran off and a third soldier shoots the boy which leads to two of the soldiers arguing in German.Anyone any idea?

The soldier who gives out to the shooter is saying stuff along the lines of:

"Are you crazy?! You could have hit me!"

The other soldier mumbles some kind of an excuse, but the first soldier is still pissed off that he could have been hit by the shot.

The idea is to show that the soldiers are not in the least bit concerned that a boy was just killed, but were concerned that an SS soldier may get killed by friendly fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Fair play to RTE who only had two ad breaks during that film tonight. Its not the type of film that should be cutting to commercials every ten minutes but a lot of stations might tend to chuck as many ads into a popular 3 hour film as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

It's a beautifully shot movie with fantastic acting. My only gripe with the movie is people take it as fact when it's purely fiction based on the novel Schindlers Ark.

The amout of times people have quoted this movie to me as a basis of historical fact is a complete joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭lukin

Faith+1 wrote: »
    It's a beautifully shot movie with fantastic acting. My only gripe with the movie is people take it as fact when it's purely fiction based on the novel Schindlers Ark.

The amout of times people have quoted this movie to me as a basis of historical fact is a complete joke.

It's not purely fiction. Schindler's Ark was written by Thomas Keneally and Poldek Pfefferberg (who was a "schindlerjuden") acted as an advisor to Keneally while he was writing it. I'm not saying everything in the film actually happened but it is fairly true to the novel. It's a few years since I've read it but Spielberg gave a fairly accurate representation of the book.

• Advertisement

lukin wrote: »
    It's not purely fiction. Schindler's Ark was written by Thomas Keneally and Poldek Pfefferberg (who was a "schindlerjuden") acted as an advisor to Keneally while he was writing it. I'm not saying everything in the film actually happened but it is fairly true to the novel. It's a few years since I've read it but Spielberg gave a fairly accurate representation of the book.

The book which won the Booker Prize...i.e Fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I'm a bit confused. Do you not believe it was true?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Triboro

Didn't see it last night but seen it a few years ago, I always thought it was true! Isn't there a scene at the end showing relatives of those saved visiting Shindlers grave or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Guffy

Im sorry but your wrong. Bot about the booking winning a prize but about the story being fabricated. I don't know how accurate the movie is but the history it's based on did indeed happen. Schindler was in a documentry in the 80's also...

here is his wiki page (totally accurate I know) http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oskar_Schindler

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

• Advertisement

It's utter nonsense to say Schindler's Ark/List is fiction. Having googled around I can see there was a bit of debate when it won the Booker prize as to whether it was fact or fiction but what is not in debate is that there was a man called Oscar Schindler who saved 1,200 Jews during the Holocaust.
    The film is based around those events so it is "based on fact". There's a big difference between "based on fact" and "fiction".

gufc21 wrote: »
    Im sorry but your wrong. Bot about the booking winning a prize but about the story being fabricated. I don't know how accurate the movie is but the history it's based on did indeed happen. Schindler was in a documentry in the 80's also...

here is his wiki page (totally accurate I know) http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oskar_Schindler

https://furtherglory.wordpress.com/2011/05/25/schindlers-list-the-movie-is-fiction-fiction-fiction/

That web page contains some filthy anti-semitic statements so it is probably not the best way of backing up your argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Guffy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

I would say that like most Hollywood films the film isn't 100% fact. Spielberg, like any director, will take some artistic licence for the purposes of making a good movie but by and large I think the bones of the story are true. For me it's a true masterpiece. I've seen some people criticising it for taking a somewhat positive perspective on the holocaust. I don't think this is the case. I think it tells the story of the terrible genocide, but also shows that even in the most difficult and most frightening circumstances there is always room for good people to stand up for what is right. It holds no punches but still offers hope.

I would say that like most Hollywood films the film isn't 100% fact. Spielberg, like any director, will take some artistic licence for the purposes of making a good movie but by and large I think the bones of the story are true. For me it's a true masterpiece. I've seen some people criticising it for taking a somewhat positive perspective on the holocaust. I don't think this is the case. I think it tells the story of the terrible genocide, but also shows that even in the most difficult and most frightening circumstances there is always room for good people to stand up for what is right. It holds no punches but still offers hope.

I agree. Also a lot of the accusations that Spielberg/Keneally "made it up" is coming from that person's prejudice against Jews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I watched it for the first time in years last night its hard to believe it came out 21 years ago!

The scene with all the kids singing and being loaded onto the trucks was really heartbreaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Melodeon

cerastes wrote: »
    Along another line, I wondered how these films or history even is related about it accurately, specifically in Germany. In the case of films that are made outside Germany, there may be images of the swastika, which I understand is banned in Germany? How do they get around showing what may be popular films or programmes that accurately depict or even just depict stories based in films of events that may have occured (ie general war films) without wholesale cutting the film/programme?

German law prohibits the "Dissemination of Means of Propaganda of Unconstitutional Organizations".
    This obviously includes Nazi symbols, but also covers things used by white supremacist groups, the KKK, etc.

There are exceptions allowed under limited circumstances:
    The law "shall not be applicable if the means of propaganda or the act serves to further civil enlightenment, to avert unconstitutional aims, to promote art or science, research or teaching, reporting about current historical events or similar purposes."

The display of Nazi symbols in museums is covered by this, for example, and I'd strongly suspect that Schindler's List would qualify too.

More info on the legal stuff:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strafgesetzbuch_section_86a

lukin wrote: »
    I agree. Also a lot of the accusations that Spielberg/Keneally "made it up" is coming from that person's prejudice against Jews.

Prejudice against Jews? How exactly is stating that Schindlers List is a work of fiction anti-Semtetic when it's based on a book of fiction? No where in that Article is there an Anti-Semetic comment, you're basing that opinion on people who have commented on the Article which I am in no way condoning.

I never said that horrible things didn't happen to the Jewish people or any group of people during the war but to pass this movie off as historical fact is wrong.

When I was in fifth year our history teacher made us watch it and would stop it after certain sections and say "Did you see what the Germans just did there" when in fact that event never happened! Even today school kids are still made watch it under the pretense that 100% of this movie is fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

Prejudice against Jews? How exactly is stating that Schindlers List is a work of fiction anti-Semtetic when it's based on a book of fiction?

I never said that horrible things didn't happen to the Jewish people or any group of people during the war but to pass this movie off as historical fact is wrong.

When I was in fifth year our history teacher made us watch it and would stop it after certain sections and say "Did you see what the Germans just did there" when in fact that event never happened! Even today school kids are still made watch it under the pretense that 100% of this movie is fact.

What exactly do you think didn't happen?

• Advertisement

First Copy of Schindlers List to tie in with Movie (Cover notes)

"First Edition, purchased March 1994:

[LOGO] TOUCHSTONE Rockefeller Center 1230 Avenue of the Americas New York. New York 10020

This book is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents are either products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events or locales or persons, living or dead is entirely coincidental.

Copyright ©1982 by Hemisphere Publishers Limited
    Cover art copyright ©1993 by MCA Publishing Rights, a Division of MCA, Inc. All rights reserved,

All rights reserved including the right of reproduction in whole or in pan In any form. This Touchstone Edition © 1993
    TOUCHSTONE and colophon are registered trademarks of Simon & Schuster Inc. Designed by Eve Metz Manufactured in the United States of America

5 7 9 10 8 6

Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data

Keneally, Thomas. Schindler's List. 1. Schindler, Oskar,. 1908-1974--fiction. 2. Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945)--fiction. 3. World war, 1939-1945--fiction.

I. Title. PR96l9.3.K46S3 1982 823 82-10489 ISBN: 0-671-44977-X 0-671-77972-9 0-671-88031-4

The author extends his grateful appreciation for photographs supplied through the courtesy of Yad Vashem Photographic Service and Leopold Page (Leopold Pfefferberg)"

First Copy of Schindlers List to tie in with Movie (Cover notes)

"First Edition, purchased March 1994:

[LOGO] TOUCHSTONE Rockefeller Center 1230 Avenue of the Americas New York. New York 10020

This book is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents are either products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events or locales or persons, living or dead is entirely coincidental.

Copyright ©1982 by Hemisphere Publishers Limited
    Cover art copyright ©1993 by MCA Publishing Rights, a Division of MCA, Inc. All rights reserved,

All rights reserved including the right of reproduction in whole or in pan In any form. This Touchstone Edition © 1993
    TOUCHSTONE and colophon are registered trademarks of Simon & Schuster Inc. Designed by Eve Metz Manufactured in the United States of America

5 7 9 10 8 6

Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data

Keneally, Thomas. Schindler's List. 1. Schindler, Oskar,. 1908-1974--fiction. 2. Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945)--fiction. 3. World war, 1939-1945--fiction.

I. Title. PR96l9.3.K46S3 1982 823 82-10489 ISBN: 0-671-44977-X 0-671-77972-9 0-671-88031-4

The author extends his grateful appreciation for photographs supplied through the courtesy of Yad Vashem Photographic Service and Leopold Page (Leopold Pfefferberg)"

Author's often put disclaimers of that type on their books just to cover themselves legally in case they put something in that wasn't 100% percent accurate. I am not for one second saying that every word of Schindler's Ark was true and every frame of Schindler's List was true but you are dismissing the entire film and book as made-up.
    Thank you so much for this clarification. I can rest easy in the knowledge that Oskar Schindler, Amon Goeth, Poldek Pfefferberg and Itzhak Stern never actually existed. There was never an Enamelware factory in Kraków where 1200 Jews worked and were saved from the gas chambers by Oskar Schindler.
    The mods will probably get pissed off soon and lock the thread so I just wanted to get that in before they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Wow, photographs of fictional people and places!

Wow, photographs of fictional people and places!

Yeah I know Wow!!! Just Wow!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

cerastes wrote: »

Apparently during the filming of Valkyrie they completely decked out the old Lufftwaffe HQ (the last Nazi building in Berlin I think) with all the trappings of the Third Reich, but didn't warn anyone they were going to. (A tour guide told me this was potentially to stop Neo Nazis congregating on it and taking propaganda pictures or something).

Anyway, Tom Cruise has this story of a nearby wedding asking them to take everything down, because they didn't want Nazi stuff in all their wedding pictures.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1106662/Cruising-trouble-My-Hitlers-downfall-Tom-Cruise.html

Advertisement