Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is Clonmel like?

Options
  • 01-12-2014 1:46am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭

Hey all - I was hoping I could get some solid advice from locals on Clonmel. I'm hoping to study down there next year. Was thinking it wouldn't hurt to find out a bit about the town but I don't know anyone who has lived there before.

I can only find out certain things through the internet, like it has a Lidl and an Aldi and looking at prices of rents on Daft. Anything else anyone could let me know would be really appreciated.

Sound!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

What kind of stuff do you want to know? Pubs/nightlife/shopping facilities/sports/childcare/jobs etc etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Meathlass wrote: »
    What kind of stuff do you want to know? Pubs/nightlife/shopping facilities/sports/childcare/jobs etc etc.

Anything really. What is the local economy like? Do you think someone could get a part-time job or are jobs hard to come by? I was reading online also that parts of Clonmel can flood sometimes because of the river?

I'm not a big go out on the town person but if there's a good pub with atmosphere then I'd head out, what are the pubs like in Clonmel?

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭cml387

Flooding is a thing of the past since the extensive flood relief works.
    There are jobs available in the retail and catering trade.
    Large employers are the likes of Abbott and Boston Scientific, but they are more for full time contract work.

Usual selection of pubs and restaurants.

In my view the best of Clonmel is the stunning collection of hill walks close to the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭Nollog

Augmerson wrote: »
    Anything really. What is the local economy like? Do you think someone could get a part-time job or are jobs hard to come by? I was reading online also that parts of Clonmel can flood sometimes because of the river?

I'm not a big go out on the town person but if there's a good pub with atmosphere then I'd head out, what are the pubs like in Clonmel?

Thank you :)
    Shouldn't be too bad to get a job in dunnes.

Are you going to be at lit or somewhere else?
    There was a good atmosphere there when I went, the administration side of things were a mess though, hopefully since limerick took over it's improved.

I lived by the Quay for around 4 years and never flooded, but they were doing all the water pumps and whatnot for like 2 years of that.
    The area used to flood alright, looks like they managed to fix it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

No major flooding anymore because of OPW works

Depending on your skill set you might get a part time student job in a pub or supermarket. Almost 2,500 are employed in Abbott and Boston but those jobs are very competitive for graduates.

Quite an affluent town with good shopping. Plenty of pubs and one nightclub which often holds badly attended festivals and theatre nights.

Can't imagine it's much of a student town though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

cml387 wrote: »

In my view the best of Clonmel is the stunning collection of hill walks close to the town.

Saw some of the pictures on the thread here, looks amazing.

Advertisement