Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tablet Or Laptop Advice Please

• 30-11-2014 2:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭

Hi All

What is the best to buy a Laptop or Tablet for basic internet access etc. The Laptop or Tablet would be used only as secondary option as i have a good spec modern PC. I will also post this in the Laptop forum just to get a feel for pros and cons. The following is what i need:

1. Internet access to emails
    2. Internet access to spotify, youtube etc
    3. Above all - Quick access to internet minimal start up time
    4. Something under 300 euro (or close)

From past experience with laptop option i did not like how it constantly slowed down, checked for updates constantly and also programmes seemed to be constantly trying to run in background which made laptop slow to a point where i dreaded using it and just go to PC instead as its lightning quick.

I have no experience with Tablets but i assume one may be an option for what i need. I hope to decide after advice here, as im currently unsure of best option.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

Par1 wrote: »
    Hi All

What is the best to buy a Laptop or Tablet for basic internet access etc. The Laptop or Tablet would be used only as secondary option as i have a good spec modern PC. I will also post this in the Laptop forum just to get a feel for pros and cons. The following is what i need:

1. Internet access to emails
    2. Internet access to spotify, youtube etc
    3. Above all - Quick access to internet minimal start up time
    4. Something under 300 euro (or close)

From past experience with laptop option i did not like how it constantly slowed down, checked for updates constantly and also programmes seemed to be constantly trying to run in background which made laptop slow to a point where i dreaded using it and just go to PC instead as its lightning quick.

I have no experience with Tablets but i assume one may be an option for what i need. I hope to decide after advice here, as im currently unsure of best option.

Thanks in advance

Quick access and minimal start up time I'd say an iPad is you best bet. My niece has one two years now and it runs as smooth as the day she got it.

The android tablets are also very good and to come in under €300 the nexus is a great tablet.

I have a windows tablet myself as I needed it to be a bit more then a tablet as i use a few programmes on it office, Bluej, and small edits on photoshop

For what your looking for either an iPad or android pad will do you perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

First decide on the size of screen. 7 inches is OK for browsing or watching videos. You may want larger if more than one will be watching at a time; but you can cast onto a TV for this.

I have a Nexus 7 tablet which does everything that I want it to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Hi OP,

It depends on use really what will you need laptop/tablet for. Personally I prefer the laptop it can do more for you and has options to add extra storage/hardware. I'd use it more than just for the internet. I'd often be using laptop for more advance stuff like creating websites, watch dvd's on it and still use Microsoft office.

A tablet is grand for home and out of home use on the go while travelling and if you just use it for the internet, email, games, camera/photos/videos and general app usage. I just think you are limited with what you can do on a tablet, its just like a big smartphone in my opinion! A tablet is grand for basic usage!

If I were to choose a tablet be the Samsung tablet (android), Windows tablet version or ipad mini. If choosing an ipad, the ipad air meant to be very good. If looking for under €300, the ipad's and ipad mini's first generation versions or ones from last year might be at a lower price this year rather than be buying the latest versions. Its just hype buying the latest ones!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭Par1

doovdela wrote: »
    Hi OP,

It depends on use really what will you need laptop/tablet for. Personally I prefer the laptop it can do more for you and has options to add extra storage/hardware. I'd use it more than just for the internet. I'd often be using laptop for more advance stuff like creating websites, watch dvd's on it and still use Microsoft office.

A tablet is grand for home and out of home use on the go while travelling and if you just use it for the internet, email, games, camera/photos/videos and general app usage. I just think you are limited with what you can do on a tablet, its just like a big smartphone in my opinion! A tablet is grand for basic usage!

If I were to choose a tablet be the Samsung tablet (android), Windows tablet version or ipad mini. If choosing an ipad, the ipad air meant to be very good. If looking for under €300, the ipad's and ipad mini's first generation versions or ones from last year might be at a lower price this year rather than be buying the latest versions. Its just hype buying the latest ones!

Cheers

Advertisement