Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many subjects to study?

Options
  • 30-11-2014 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I would just like to get some advice on how many leaving cert subjects to study. I am currently in fifth year and studying eight honours subjects. I was told that studying eight subjects would be better than studying six or seven as I would have backup if I did badly in two subjects. However I find that eight subjects is a lot of work and maybe focusing on seven or even the minimum of six would be better? All opinions welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Consonata

Only do 8 if you have to, or you find that you could do a subject that you could do really well in. I'm doing music outside because I have two musical instruments that I could do at a high standard. Its up to you really, play to your strengths. Try and isolate your difficulty to whatever subject that is eating up the majority of your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭TheEdgeofGlory

I would just like to get some advice on how many leaving cert subjects to study. I am currently in fifth year and studying eight honours subjects. I was told that studying eight subjects would be better than studying six or seven as I would have backup if I did badly in two subjects. However I find that eight subjects is a lot of work and maybe focusing on seven or even the minimum of six would be better? All opinions welcome!

It really depends on three separate things. Your individual strengths( for example compensating for taking one of your weaker subjects at Ordinary Level), your time management/work ethic and most importantly your end goal for the Leaving Cert. What is your eighth subject as a matter of interest? If you thrive in the subject and you put in minimal effort compared to other subjects then by all means continue with it, but if not I'd concentrate on your core seven. However, I would say it's handy to have the buffer subject as a back up in worst case scenario on exam day!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

It depends on how many points you're looking for and your abilities in mandatory subjects. I think you'd be safer with 7, particularly if you're depending on a subjective subject like English where so depends on your performance on the day. 8 does seem a bit much though,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Would you do better in your 7 subjects without the distractions/work of an 8th subject or are you comfortable enough doing all 8. Like someone said if the 8th was music and you were already well up and talented at this then it wouldn't make a big difference if you had the time, if however it is another one you need to work extremely hard at is it worth it.

The advice of doing 8 in case you do bad in TWO is silly in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

seavill wrote: »
    Would you do better in your 7 subjects without the distractions/work of an 8th subject or are you comfortable enough doing all 8. Like someone said if the 8th was music and you were already well up and talented at this then it wouldn't make a big difference if you had the time, if however it is another one you need to work extremely hard at is it worth it.

The advice of doing 8 in case you do bad in TWO is silly in my opinion.

Would agree with all of this. It would also be true if say you are doing HL Maths and Physics and your 8th subject is Applied Maths as there is a good overlap there. However if you are struggling to keep up with 8 subjects, then maybe reassess your position. Do you have any idea of what courses you are likely to want to do in college? The points involved or subject requirements? Could you achieve this without the 8th subject? Or is your weakest subject one that you already do in school, that you could switch to OL in and keep on your 8th outside school?

• Advertisement
Advertisement