Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dart shmart

Options
  • 30-11-2014 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,285 ✭✭✭

I know it's not going to happen in foreseeable future, but I can't stop wondering what is the attraction to get DART all the way to Drogheda?

The only benefit I can think of is that it would bring electrification of the lines and perhaps proper electric locomotives rather than the current stock of of diesel generator powered noise buckets that shake and rattle like crazy.

On the downside I can think of commuter & enterprise services taking even longer to get to Drogheda if they have to run behind more frequent stop-everywhere DART services?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

I think if they bring electification as far drogheda they might go all the to belfast and rid of all the slow diesel sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

I can't imagine that would ever be financially possible! The cost would be huge and there is really no need given the pretty decent suburban rail service that Drogheda gets.

I can't imagine that would ever be financially possible! The cost would be huge and there is really no need given the pretty decent suburban rail service that Drogheda gets.

Yeh but electricfication may be cheaper in the long run also electric trains have a longer service span then theyre diesel counterparts for example in italy some of the electric rolling stock has been in service for over 40 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

stehyl15 wrote: »
    Yeh but electricfication may be cheaper in the long run also electric trains have a longer service span then theyre diesel counterparts for example in italy some of the electric rolling stock has been in service for over 40 years

All true. But they just couldn't afford the capital investment. At least not in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,285 ✭✭✭positron

stehyl15 wrote: »

Yes, there really isn't a good case for not electrifying railway lines. It's more environmentally friendly than diesel in every way and quicker to accelerate and to slow down etc.

But even if everything switches to electric, if there are going to be more stops along the way and trains having to run one after another (no third line), the service could be slower than what it is now, which is already slower than what it used to be in the past.

• Advertisement

Or would a cheaper option for them be a third rail it seems to work in a lot of the uk

Advertisement