Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

compound bows

Options
  • 29-11-2014 11:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32

Hi i want to get into bow shooting iv shot out of my friends one a fue times and I like it. can aneyone help me answer my questions,
    I hold the bow with my left hand and pull the string with my right hand so would I get a left handed one or a right handed bow. and what lbs would I get I want a fairly good one. And what are the laws for owning one and can you hunt with them as in ( rabbits) not deer.and is there an age restriction for owning them I'm currently 16. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I hold the bow with my left hand and pull the string with my right hand so would I get a left handed one or a right handed bow.
    Right handed. But this is more to do with eye dominance rather than hand preference.

The way to determine eye dominance is extend both arms out infront of you, make a triangle with a hole in between like this
    hand_triangle-5affae5e0481de786a20bc1716e1bff3.png

Focus on a far away object. Close one eye at a time, note what happens. When you close one of your eyes, the image will shift away. The eye that keeps the image the same whilst the other is closed is your dominant eye.

If you're right eye dominant, you'll get a right handed bow and vice versa.
    and what lbs would I get I want a fairly good one.
    With this question and the previous - you've shown your very limited archery knowledge. I'm not pointing this out to criticise you.

Compound bows are far more dangerous than recurve bows. They are always strung up, and the limbs are always under tension. Furthermore they are often multiple times the amount of force of a recurve bow. Handing a beginner with no knowledge a compound is the same as handing over any firearm - potentially lethal.

Find out your nearest archery club and start attending training. More and more people are shooting compound, so having a distinct interest in that won't be a big deal. But, you need to go through the same steps everyone else does and learn the basics of the sport and the etiquette involved. Also without correct form on a compound you WILL injure yourself.

The actual force of the bow does not correspond to its quality. There are also many important factors when choosing a bow, particularly a compound. Draw length being one of the most important. People in the club will be able to advise you on what to buy. Bare in mind - compound is also more expensive to make an initial investment in. The bows often cost more - you need better stabilisation, different sights and magnification scopes and a release aid.

And what are the laws for owning one and can you hunt with them as in ( rabbits) not deer.and is there an age restriction for owning them I'm currently 16. thanks
    Bow hunting of any kind is entirely illegal in ROI.

There is no age restriction or licensing required as all archery equipment is considered sporting equipment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 username1122

When I do that thing with my eyes my left eye is by far the best so foes that mean I need a left handed bow. and because I shoot, write, and have more hand eye coronation with my right hand will it take a bit of getting youst to with my left hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Vaperus

In your first post you said you hold the boy in your left hand which would be a left hand bow. its the hand you hold the bow in. That seems to be backed up by the test. WRONG Totally typed that the wrong way around:eek:
    But as challengemaster has said join a club first, get on a beginners course or you will buy something thats not right for you.

http://archery.ie/site/index.php/current-clubs/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

Vaperus wrote: »
    In your first post you said you hold the boy in your left hand which would be a left hand bow.

This is completely wrong. A right handed bow is held in the left hand and drawn with the right.

OP, as Challengemaster said, you really should join a club and take a beginners course before even thinking about buying a bow. They will teach you all the basics and help you to pick out the equipment that suits you properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Vaperus

oops
    Your right I actually typed that the wrong way around to what I was thinking
    I have 7 kids and myself who do archery and I was thinking of the one left handed one at the time Doh
    A Right hand bow is held in the left hand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Midnight64

Bow hunting of any kind is entirely illegal in ROI.

Not completely true. It is not illegal to bow-fish. Any other live target is illegal.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Midnight64 wrote: »
    Not completely true. It is not illegal to bow-fish. Any other live target is illegal.

Can you clarify this please?

Can you clarify this please?

Question: Can I hunt animals with a bow in Ireland?
    Answer: Fish - YES. All other animals - NO

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

As I understand it, spear fishing is legal and bow fishing has similarities, so legal.

There's a historical thread on this forum about it which would likely give the legal basis.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »
    As I understand it, spear fishing is legal and bow fishing has similarities, so legal.

It is more likely that they just didn't know that there was such a thing as bow-fishing so it was not included.

I do not believe there is any association between the two.

There is legislation about spear-fishing. For example you can not spear-fish while using scuba, but it is allowed if you are snorkeling or free-diving.

• Advertisement

Question: Can I hunt animals with a bow in Ireland?
    Answer: Fish - YES. All other animals - NO

Answer: Fish - NO.

Control of fishing for coarse fish in freshwater Bye Law No. 595 (1977)

greysides wrote: »

There's a historical thread on this forum about it which would likely give the legal basis.

Nope it's illegal to fish for fish in freshwater with a bow or spear.

The Sea is a different matter.

It is more likely that they just didn't know that there was such a thing as bow-fishing so it was not included.

I do not believe there is any association between the two.

As long as Salmon and Trout were running the streams and rivers of this island, there were people trying to gaff, spear and strokehaul them. As far back as the existence of legislation as we know it I'd be confident it was illegal to use a spear or bow or the like.

Advertisement