Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish air corps

Options
  • 29-11-2014 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Hi. I'm really interested in a career in the air corps as an office by getting a cadetship. I amaware that it is very hard to get into.

My question is if there is anything that I can do (I'm in fifth year) to help my chances of getting into Irish air corps. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Competition for places for an Air Corps cadetship have always been high and will continue to be so as it is a highly desirable career for many people.

Familiarise yourself with the entry criteria listed on military.ie and make sure that you are aware and capable of meeting the educational requirements. The requirements are quite achievable in my opinion but the necessity of a third language may catch some people out.

There are several things that you can do at your age that will help you stand out at interview. Getting involved in your local community, joining the civil defence/order of malta, playing group sports. When you're 18 the obvious option is to join the RDF. The benefit of this will show that you are determined and committed and give you a taste of military life. As a member of the RDF you will also get an addition bonus mark at final interview.

One suggestion that I have not seen many recommend often here is the Gaisce Award. It is available to young people and again is quite achievable depending on your circumstances. This is another thing that will show commitment and provide something to talk about in interview as opposed to the usual, 'I'm the captain of my local GAA team' etc. Remember, you want to stand out in a positive light as much as possible.

If you're aim is to be a pilot then you should already have a certain amount of knowledge about aircraft and specifically the Air Corps. Learn all about the organisation, how the wings are divided up. The aircraft in the inventory, the roles of each aircraft. Learn about how piston engine, jet engine and turboshaft engines work. Learn about principles of flight and how the aircraft are controlled aerodynamically. These are questions you will be asked and will be expected to know.

Psychometric testing will cull many applicants and I would imagine many go in unprepared. These tests are all about time, speed and accuracy and will cover verbal, numerical and spatial reasoning. There are books you can get to practice all these tests.

If you haven't taken a flight already, then do so. Getting a flight in will give you a valuable experience and again something to talk about at interview. There are lots of small flying clubs around as well as the usual places like Weston and Atlantic.

My advice is to apply as soon as you meet the age criteria. You do not have to have sat your leaving cert to apply, but the results will be checked once released. It's important to be familiar with the way the competition is laid out and what is expected at each stage. From what I know it seems to be quite rare to get accepted on your first application so experience helps in subsequent applications.

Failing that, go to college, get your level 8 and continue to apply. Your choice of degree does not have to be aviation related but it does help. Always remember that you will be an Officer first and a pilot second. If flying is all you are interested in, then commercial flying would be the obvious choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 airbuspilot

Thanks for the reply. Very informative.

At the moment I would say I have fairly good knowledge of flight, engines from fsx but where would I learn more about it. Any good websites or books you know of?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Negative_G

There are literally hundreds of books out there covering what I've suggested. Similarly there are numerous websites that will explain with moving schematics how everything works.

I would recommend HowStuffWorks.com as a good resource. It will cover pretty much everything you require without causing too much confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Excellent post from @Negative_G.

The Gaisce is well worth doing - gold award, nothing less!

I'd also recommend reading up on the history of the IAC - you don't have to go into huge detail, but it'd be worth going beyond Wikipedia and what's on the web.

'Military Aviation in Ireland' would be a good starting point - the book, or the thesis it's based on

http://eprints.maynoothuniversity.ie/5262/

Good luck

Advertisement