Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ifone HR monitor

Options
  • 29-11-2014 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭

Downloaded a HR monitor app for free on the ifone.

As an auld lad that grew up with a Commodore 64, can someone please tell me how these work!

Are they accurate, I tried it after an hour on the couch and after looking at the result I think I should be dead :)

TbL

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Downloaded a HR monitor app for free on the ifone.

As an auld lad that grew up with a Commodore 64, can someone please tell me how these work!

Are they accurate, I tried it after an hour on the couch and after looking at the result I think I should be dead :)

TbL

Haha. I'm guessing your talking bout an app to get your resting heart rate ? If so the last one I had worked by placing the tip of your finger at the camera and the pulse rate is got from there. Don't press against the camera because that occludes the vessel and you get a false reading. I found it pretty accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Haha. I'm guessing your talking bout an app to get your resting heart rate ? If so the last one I had worked by placing the tip of your finger at the camera and the pulse rate is got from there. Don't press against the camera because that occludes the vessel and you get a false reading. I found it pretty accurate.

Tnx Dora :)

That's the one, a light shines onto your fingertip and you place you fingertip on the camera lens. That actually works, FFS, I thought it was a piss take :)

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

TbL

You're obviously not excited by the boxing tonight ;)

What was you resting HR?

menoscemo wrote: »
    You're obviously not excited by the boxing tonight ;)

What was you resting HR?

Haha, the missus has commandeered the tv, I'm flicking between the boxing and the darts thread!!

48 HR, didn't think that was possible!

TbL

Haha, the missus has commandeered the tv, I'm flicking between the boxing and the darts thread!!

48 HR, didn't think that was possible!

TbL

48 is pretty normal for a runner TbL. I wouldn't worry about you being dead :p and I'd presume it's pretty accurate.
    I went for an ECG recently (precautionary, no problems :D) and the test gave me a HR of 42 during it despite the test pressure. I am not the fittest or lightest guy either so you have nothing to worry about.

• Advertisement

Tnx Meno,

I was just after eating an articulated lorry size toblerone so I thought it should be a fair bit higher :)

TbL

Tnx Meno,

I was just after eating an articulated lorry size toblerone so I thought it should be a fair bit higher :)

TbL

Well I hope you lumped your lifesavings on Eubank Jr by KO. For a a man on the verge of going bust, 48 HR is remarkably calm ;)

Well I hope you lumped your lifesavings on Eubank Jr by KO. For a a man on the verge of going bust, 48 HR is remarkably calm ;)

Haha, I actually hope Flanna pulls it off as I'd miss his hyperbolic social commentary if he stopped posting. Loved Eubank senior can't see junior winning by stoppage.

TbL

Haha, I actually hope Flanna pulls it off as I'd miss his hyperbolic social commentary if he stopped posting. Loved Eubank senior can't see junior winning by stoppage.

TbL

I think he will. I have put the mortgage on it :pac:

I think he will. I have put the mortgage on it :pac:

You now looking for a part time job in McDonalds :)

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭rom

Having testing it against :
    Pulse oximetry
    Garmin HRM strap
    Polar HRM strap

The phone is probably the most accurate tbh. Its more accurate than the oximetry (but then again my one is a cheap one)

I do find the oximetry better to get true resting HR reading as you can lie flat and relax while with the phone its a tad harder.

rom wrote: »
    Having testing it against :
    Pulse oximetry
    Garmin HRM strap
    Polar HRM strap

The phone is probably the most accurate tbh. Its more accurate than the oximetry (but then again my one is a cheap one)

I do find the oximetry better to get true resting HR reading as you can lie flat and relax while with the phone its a tad harder.

Tnx Rom,

Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question but how does it actually work?

How can a camera lens give you an accurate heart rate?

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭rom

Tnx Rom,

Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question but how does it actually work?

How can a camera lens give you an accurate heart rate?

TbL

The flash illuminates your finger. Then camera then can see the pulses. The are actually easy to see yourself if you put turn on a torch app. I love this kind of use of technology. Was using my phone today to level a shelf with a level app as it uses the accelerometer.

Any of the new light based HR monitors like the MIO or rhythm + hrm work exactly the same.

rom wrote: »
    The flash illuminates your finger. Then camera then can see the pulses. The are actually easy to see yourself if you put turn on a torch app. I love this kind of use of technology. Was using my phone today to level a shelf with a level app as it uses the accelerometer.

Any of the new light based HR monitors like the MIO or rhythm + hrm work exactly the same.

Tnx.

Jezus, that's cool. In my day the height of technology was a camera that printed of a poor quality photo "instantly" :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Have this app too but dont really know what the significance of low rhr is??? When I wake up it's usually mid 30's & has been 32/33 on occasion. After eating it goes up to low 40's I suppose as the digestive system kicks in. The only time I take heed of it would be if first thing the rate was up 10 or 15 beats which could mean a cold or such is in the post.

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Have this app too but dont really know what the significance of low rhr is??? When I wake up it's usually mid 30's & has been 32/33 on occasion. After eating it goes up to low 40's I suppose as the digestive system kicks in. The only time I take heed of it would be if first thing the rate was up 10 or 15 beats which could mean a cold or such is in the post.

I'd say yours goes up to 199 when you look at photos of yourself from a couple of years ago :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

I'd say yours goes up to 199 when you look at photos of yourself from a couple of years ago :)

TbL
    Haha - you're not wrong there :D
    I do have a theory though that the weight loss contributes to the low rhr in my case as for years the heart had to operate at my overweight levels and now has an easier time of it since I lost 30% body weight.

Advertisement