If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact

Farming in my own right

  • 29-11-2014 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

    How's a going, I'm looking for some advise on what to do. I have the green cert and I have my own livestock but it is in my fathers name. He is not yet near retirement. If I rent land do I have to have entitlements or what way does it work? In order to claim SFP?

    I have recently been let go from my job and I am not sure which way to turn. The farm is not profitable enough for me to get a wage but I can't emigrate because I can't see my father being able to handle things if I wasn't around. In fact I don't think the farm will ever be at a stage where I could get a wage, due to lots of investment needed due to neglect in the past. My father took a lot out of the farm and put feck all back in. Due to no fault of his own the money he took out. Let's just say went down the swany!

    He is being depressed over it for a long long time but if I mentioned anything like a councillor he would tell me I'm the one that needs the councillor if even thinking of that. Anytime I call to his house and he doesn't answer I have one thought that comes to mind. That he has taken his own life. He often takes day time naps which I know is a sign of depression. The farm is not profitable he is barely scrapping by. He won't look for work, which is fair enough but he has serious debt off farm from a previous business too that he is paying off year by year.
    All of this gets to me sometimes I'll stop writing now as didn't mean for all that to go down but I'll post it anyway!!


  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭case5130

    On the land I rent you will need a herd number to claim the payments unless u use ur fathers one

  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

    Anything new you can do around the farm? Like do up an old shed or fix up a crap old crush? Sumthing like that, you may be able to get him out and about helping you for a few days and if might ignite a spark in him agen to get up and have more intrest in the place?

    Just sumthing small but it might help.

  • Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

    Look at low input like organics. You'll get the organics grant, nearly certain to get into GLAS (upto €5k pa), keep a low stocking rate and allow you to draw money out of the place.

    Farm the grant schemes so as to speak...