Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loftus hall Wexford

Options
  • 29-11-2014 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi all :) I am looking to plan a spooky/adventure weekend away to Loftus hall . Apparently the most haunted place in all of our fair Ireland. Anyway I am searching and searching and still can't find any hotels or holiday homes that would be within taxi or walking distance of Loftus hall. We plan on having a few pre drinks before the main event just to make it more interesting I suppose and it would be a downer if one of us had to be designated driver. Does anybody know of any hotels or accommodation for February. As usual any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Have you got in contact with Loftus hall to ask them they are very nice in fairness and would advise.

I know there is a small restaurant/bar not too far from there but not sure about rooms.. Have you tried the hook website http://hooktourism.com/index.php/self-catering-accommodation/

This place looks close http://herrylockcottage.com/

I think a friend of ours got a place through Air BnB.

To be honest though I don't think there is any type of taxi place down there so id say ye will be walking from anywhere ye are staying.. It is very very windy up there so be prepared for that.

Also I know you saying ye will have a few drinks beforehand but to be honest I don't think ye would need it, or just be careful as other people will be on the tour aswell you don't want to ruin it for them.. I would think ye would be better of driving down then going to the local pub for a scoup

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭MileyReilly

Your expectations of Loftus hall are way too high. A lad in a devil costume hiding behind a curtain and the likes.

If they would just give you a tour of the place it would be amazing. But it's not like that. It's people with stupid make up etc trying to scare you.

Ah don't be such a bummer!! Its grand up there and the lads that run it in fairness are very nice... Just because they add a bit of atmosphere don't knock them

You will have to drive, its very secluded. As Milly was saying your expectations are very high. I have a house down that way. The place is not haunted at all. It has no storys to it except the Devil playing cards. But that was a different build which is now gone.
    That same story has also popped up in 5 other counties. It was the urban legend of the time.
    Duncannon fort on the other hand has had sightings up until recently, with a man being chased out of the cafe by what he said was a ghost. Children playinging with other children that were not there and the ghost of Muloc who still guards in the courtyard.

Still go though, most ghost stories in fairness have come about for old wives tales and things like this.. Go to loftus if not for the spooks then just to see the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

if your interest in the paranormal is to be scared by people who are very much pretending, then loftus hall is a great place. no ghosts in it though.

jaysus yer painfull people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Blademan

Milly33 wrote: »
    jaysus yer painfull people

This forum is about how things are, and I have been there few times and it's an adventurous say the least, but there is nothing there only the Ghost of Christmas past, :D

see that is a nice answer to give... The op just asked a simple question

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Blademan

see that is a nice answer to give... The op just asked a simple question

The OP has got the best answers that most people here can give, and that's been honest. It's a fantastic location to visit if you are passing by that way, or right beside Loftus is Hook Head Lighthouse which has a great cafe there, I would more suggest Duncannon Fort because it has more to offer within history and great people there too, but many folks who are connected with paranormal on here will tell you the same about Loftus Hall I'm afraid, :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Duncannon fort .

Do you remember the time that we pissed ourselves up there when we see the figure of a man moving behind the bins.He was clear as day and we freaked the hell out. It turned out it was a homeless man on the site at the time.

... at least we think it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Fort Stranger

Riamfada wrote: »
    Do you remember the time that we pissed ourselves up there when we see the figure of a man moving behind the bins.He was clear as day and we freaked the hell out. It turned out it was a homeless man on the site at the time.

My friend over here in wolverhampton has wrote and recorded a song about loftus hall, his parents are irish and he used to hear the story as a kid and it always fascinated him, he has asked me to re-record it as my accent would be more authentic and we plan to do it soon!
    The words are -

1 / 1
    Night like This (Loftus Hall)
    Verse 1
    Something in the air just didn’t feel right
    Stranger called in the middle of the night
    Opened the door and all I could see
    Is a young man looking back at me

He asked if he could stay and get out of this rain
    I said come in and didn’t I complain.
    The air was cold and the night was black
    There’s no way he could find his way back

On a night like this.

Verse 2
    Gathered round by the fire side
    Started playing cards by the fire light
    Then a card fell to the floor
    Picked it up – terrible sight I saw
    All I saw was a cloven hoof
    The man shot and went through the roof

On a night like this.

Chorus
    Who’d have believed me
    When I told them what I saw
    Who’d have believed me
    When I told them who was standing at the door

Verse 3
    No-one says a word around this town
    About the man that came around
    No-one speaks a word about the man in the rain
    But they all tell about the dreadful game

Verse 4
    He asked if he could stay and get out of this rain,
    I said come in and didn’t I complain.
    The air was cold and the night was black
    There’s no way he could find his way back

On a night like this.

On a night like this.

He asked about accommodation close by just hate it when people are like dising things straight away and im sorry but there are a lot in this forum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

The real shock I got in loftus hall was the charge I received to just drive into the car park:eek:

Riamfada wrote: »

Nope, you didnt invite me to that one, i wasnt there :)

I was talking to the woman in Duncannon fort who was telling me she was talking to a man in the courtyard who had a couple of kids 3 and 5. They were playing on their own. When it was time to leave, he was calling them. They said they didnt want to go as they were playing with the little girl and pointed at nothing :D Freaked out the the woman who runs it.

He asked about accommodation close by just hate it when people are like dising things straight away and im sorry but there are a lot in this forum

I am not dissing it. I am always down that way. As i said, i have a house down that way. I am interested in the paranormal but that place is not haunted. Its not even the original house, its not even on the spot of the original house, there have been ZERO reports of a haunting there. ZERO

There are too many "YES" people in the paranormal world. Its absolutely caked with bull****. So much so when something paranormal actually happens it gets lost in the pile of bull**** that is out there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

Yeah but again start off your own thread about that not crash one asking nothing about that... Don't get so excited..

Yeah but again start off your own thread about that not crash one asking nothing about that... Don't get so excited..

I wasnt crashing your thread. You said that your looking to plan a spooky weekend in somewhere that is not haunted. Thats like planning a romantic dinner in Mcdonalds.

I gave you advice on better places.

Again your off jumping the gun, goes to show you didnt even read the thread properly. As one I didn't start it and two it didn't ask about info on planning a trip to a haunted spot. Here it is

"Hi all I am looking to plan a spooky/adventure weekend away to Loftus hall .(note they are already planning to go there)
    Apparently the most haunted place in all of our fair Ireland. Anyway I am searching and searching and still can't find any hotels or holiday homes that would be within taxi or walking distance of Loftus hall. We plan on having a few pre drinks before the main event just to make it more interesting I suppose and it would be a downer if one of us had to be designated driver. Does anybody know of any hotels or accommodation for February. As usual any and all help is appreciated. "

See that bit there at the end that is what the poster was asking about, not how you felt about Loftus.

Oh rant over I feel better now thanks. Just saying a lot of people on here can come back very annoying on post, don't be so fast to criticise and all that goes

• Advertisement

its in the wrong forum then if its purely a thread about accommodation

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

maccored wrote: »
    its in the wrong forum then if its purely a thread about accommodation

The sound of silence and a pin dropping comes to mind

Again your off jumping the gun, goes to show you didnt even read the thread properly. As one I didn't start it and two it didn't ask about info on planning a trip to a haunted spot. Here it is

"Hi all I am looking to plan a spooky/adventure weekend away to Loftus hall .(note they are already planning to go there)
    Apparently the most haunted place in all of our fair Ireland. Anyway I am searching and searching and still can't find any hotels or holiday homes that would be within taxi or walking distance of Loftus hall. We plan on having a few pre drinks before the main event just to make it more interesting I suppose and it would be a downer if one of us had to be designated driver. Does anybody know of any hotels or accommodation for February. As usual any and all help is appreciated. "

See that bit there at the end that is what the poster was asking about, not how you felt about Loftus.

Oh rant over I feel better now thanks. Just saying a lot of people on here can come back very annoying on post, don't be so fast to criticise and all that goes

I am not criticizing but the fact that i live down there and am informing you that you might be disappointed by the title of "the most haunted place in all of Ireland" yet not one ghost has been sighted there.

The closest place you can stay would be Duncannon, you can rent homes there on the beach. Normally houses are rented on a weekly basis but i have known some to rent for weekends. Your at the quiet time so you could get a good deal

http://www.daft.ie/holiday-homes/wexford/duncannon/

You will need a car to reach Loftus though. If your looking for adventure (i dont guarantee ghosts). In that weekend you could fit in Duncannon fort, The lighthouse, Templar Castle (shell) in Templetown They are all within 30 minutes of each other.

now see that's what you should have said for the the get go.. And tisnt my thread ive already been and loved it...

The sound of silence and a pin dropping comes to mind

why?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭MileyReilly

Milly in a cruel state over Loftus Hall :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I ended up doing a tour of it near Halloween this year. I wasnt spooked at all. In the end, it was an afternoon tour aimed at kids. I was dissapointed it was so cleaned up and with crowds of people it didnt really feel spooky. You only got to see a handful of rooms also and no peek upstairs either unfortunately. I heard about the tapestry room which had a history of feeling really cold - I realised its probably because its facing the brunt of the onshore wind rather than some paranormal influence.

In a word: Commercialized.

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    I heard about the tapestry room which had a history of feeling really cold - I realised its probably because its facing the brunt of the onshore wind rather than some paranormal influence.

My place down there has the exact same problem :D the wind coming in from the sea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭guitarrrszz

not as great as youd expect!

Advertisement