Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I ask

Options
  • 29-11-2014 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine wants a little 50cc scooter. He has no car license and was wondering what he'd need to just drive a 50 cc scooter?

would he need a theory test? training course?

Thanks lads..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

carzony wrote: »
    A friend of mine wants a little 50cc scooter. He has no car license and was wondering what he'd need to just drive a 50 cc scooter?

Thanks lads..

Theory Test + IBT(training).

Then the usual Insurance + Tax + Bike + Protective equipment (Helmet legally although Helmet, Armored Jacket + Gloves are the minimum in my opinion)

The Category can be any of the bellow for 50cc moped(listed most restrictive to least restrictive):

AM - Mopeds and tricycles with a maximum speed of 45kph and light quadricycles

A1 - Motorcycles (with or without a sidecar) of 11kW or less and 125cc or less, with a maximum power/weight ratio of 0.1 kW/kg, and motor tricycles of 15 kW or less

A2 - Motorcycles (with or without a sidecar) of 35kW or less, with a maximum power/weight ratio of 0.2 kW/kg, and not derived from a vehicle of more than double its power

A - Motorcycles (with or without a sidecar) and motor tricycles (This is the best licence to have as it covers the other Categories).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Theory test, apply for learner permit, IBT for scooter, wait 6 months and apply for full test.

Car license, or any other license makes no difference, except potentially for the theory test part.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Looks expensive so far lol.. Thanks lads i'll pass it on..

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

He would be better off getting a bicycle, won't be going much faster on a 50cc scooter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Pugzilla wrote: »
    He would be better off getting a bicycle, won't be going much faster on a 50cc scooter.

Probably won't sweat as much on the scooter either.

• Advertisement

He lives in the middle of nowhere and has a 16 mile journey to the nearest village. He only wanted the scooter for that but given the price I think he'll have to continue with the long walk lol..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Too true. I bought my daughter a 50cc scooter for going to college and I think the enforced restriction on it is actually dangerous.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

If he was to go for the scooter I'd recommend he go for a 125cc bike, same process and not much difference in price and at least he will be able to keep up with traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

Used to play a little game with 50cc scooters when I lived in the big smoke and cycled a lot - try to act as nonchalant as possible out-accelerating them away from the lights and up to 50kph. :P
    Childish and I couldn't keep up that kind of pace for too long but worth it 'cos it drives 'em mad and they look so confused. :pac:
    I was fitter then. :o

It's mad how expensive it is to get on a 50cc here. There probably should be some training alright but it's way overkill having to do the whole IBT. A 125cc would be a much better deal and a more practical yoke.

if he passes the theory test and gets the provisional can he then use the bike straight away? without the ibt test like.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

No.
    You have to do the IBT to ride legally on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,351 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

MrPudding wrote: »
    Too true. I bought my daughter a 50cc scooter for going to college and I think the enforced restriction on it is actually dangerous.

MrP

Why not have her to get the A1 IBT and LP and then take the restrictor out? most unrestricted ones will top out at about 75-80km/h and accelerate a lot better, which is fine for town use.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

if he passes the theory test and gets the provisional can he then use the bike straight away? without the ibt test like.....

He'd be much better off doing the theory test and then IBT on a school bike. He'll find out how useless a moped is for a 16km run on rural roads:eek: and will have a selection of bikes to try out. A 125 would be a much better option or if he wants to travel slowly a pedal assisted bicycle would be the cheapest option as there's no licence or insurance required.

Advertisement