Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discrimination: bypass training at work

Options
  • 29-11-2014 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Been working in a public hospital for almost 3 years now through an agency. My co-agency workers has been trained in special fields despite having worked 2 or lesser years than me. I felt i have been gravely by-passed. Recently, a co-agency worker was trained in an special field again although we have the same status,that is: lacks certificate in special training, i came 2 years ahead of this co worker. Please i need an advice . . .
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Practical advice would be to look to your skills, behaviours and work rate to establish if there is a reason why they are being preferred.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The word 'discriminate' means to make a selection based on certain criteria. Your employer may have decided that the colleague you mention is more able than you and so, given a choice as to who should receive additional training, they may have chosen to discriminate in that person's favour which is perfectly legal and proper.

You point out that the other person has less service than you but you conspicuously make no claim as to your ability compared to theirs. An employer is entitled to discriminate in favour of people with better ability, all other things being equal, particularly issues like race, gender etc.

Advertisement