Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film scenarios that you could never see happening in reality and ones you think could

Options
  • 29-11-2014 7:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭

I was watching Olympus Has Fallen in the past two weeks and then of course had to follow it up with White House Down. Its kind of de rigour that they go hand in hand.

It got me thinking. Could the White House ever be taken over?

And the answer was a firm "no". Im sure the people that matter have run all scenarios, made the necessary security measures and buttoned everything up. And I dont mean in the two ludicrous ways it is taken down in these films, I mean in any way. The White House will never be compromised, in the modern era, by an attack.

But then take a premise like Die Hard 4.
    McClane is attempting to stop cyber terrorists who hack into government and commercial computers across the United States with the goal to start a "fire sale" of financial assets.

I think it is more than a probable that this could happen. A future war, at some stage, will be a digital one.

So, without getting silly and saying things like "Independence Day" :pac:, what are film scenarios that you could never see happening in reality and ones you think could?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

A rich kid I knew growing up watched both his parents get killed in an ominously named back-alley.
    I don't want to say too much, but he disappeared for years (presumed dead) and when he returned, a strange night-time vigilante started getting a lot of mentions in the tabloids.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

A rich kid I knew growing up watched both his parents get killed in an ominously named back-alley.
    I don't want to say too much, but he disappeared for years (presumed dead) and when he returned, a strange night-time vigilante started getting a lot of mentions in the tabloids.

:)

Ok, now that we have the usual thank whoring second post out of the way, what else?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Star Wars. Totes probable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Of all the Bond-films, the plots of From Russia With Love, For Your Eyes Only and Licence To Kill could all be seen as the most realistic and most grounded of all of them. All of them are within the borders of credibility and are in the realms of "That could happen".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Some movie stuff is pretty realistic though. Short term 12 is fairly realistic, could (and probably has happened) I think, same with say, zero dark thirty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

still looking forward to the zombie apocalypse :cool: as long as they are the slow zombies...also a huge global pandemic, or mad max etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

i dunno probably Schindlers List, or A Beautiful Mind or something like The Pianist,:pac::pac::pac:

Advertisement