Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drugs Payment Scheme - could someone clarify some details?

Options
  • 29-11-2014 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭

We (spouse & I) have been on the Drugs Payment Scheme since last year, but we're still unclear exactly what to do with the Prescription Claim Forms we've been accumulating. (I'm weeding out our redundent paperwork, which has brought the query to the fore again!).

Am I right in assuming that the the Prescription Claim Forms that we get with our medicines only come into use if the monthly cap is exceeded, and that in that case we send the monthsworth to the HSE as proof for a refund? And is there a time limit for claiming one?

Our usual pharmacist only had to see our D.P.S. cards once, so that they could get it 'on the system'. That seems to suggest that the future central database mentioned in the D.P.S. leaflet is now in operation (but in that case, what are the claim forms for?)

I've been keeping them so far, and doing some adding every so often, in case we go over the €144 per month (and have to prove it from our end). But I don't know if a month for this purpose has to start on the 1st?

Apologies if 'everyone' knows how it works, but I can't find the answers on the HSE or Citizens Information websites (or in this forum).

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Do you use more than one pharmacy in the month?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Occasionally.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

If you use more than 1 pharmacy in a month you may end up paying more than the cap on your drug payments then you need to claim back the extra from the hse.As for the rest of the receipts ect you can use them on your med 1 form to the revenue at the end of the year (claim back some tax)

Thanks mp22!
    Does that mean that if our prescriptions reach the €144 via our regular pharmacy alone, they'll dispense any more that month (almost) free? (As opposed to our paying the pharmacist, then claiming back the extra from the HSE?)

In that case, it seems I can bin the claim forms after a month or two, and save some space! (We're not taxpayers, being retired).
    And just keep them long enough to know if a payment to a different pharmacy has put us over the monthly limit (starting on the 1st of each month?)
    Do you know if there's a time limit for claims?

It doesn't sound as if that 'pending' central database is operating yet, then.

If you stick to the one pharmacy when you pay 144 that is all you will have to pay in that month all other prescriptions should be free(ish).As for the paperwork it is your choice whether you keep it or not.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the clarifications, mp22.
    (I'll just check the amounts when we've used a different pharmacy then).

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭sandra06

if you are on any long term med like for certain diabeties check with hse that you pay for meds i know a few people that have diabeties that dont pay for any medication ,no harm to ask

Thanks Sandra.

Advertisement