Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is the correct benefit to apply for in this unique situation?

Options
  • 29-11-2014 6:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭

I had a horrible fall whilst hiking in Machu picchu and sustained many serious injuries. I reckon I'll be unable to work for several months.

What complicates matters is the fact that I haven't worked in Ireland for 6 years -- most of my time was spent working in the states(without medical insurance).

My fundamental question is this: which benefit should I apply for? Disability? JSA? Or is there something in between?

Has anyone previously had to claim after a long period abroad? I'm genuinely worried about ending up on the streets with multiple, serious injuries.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭PutDownArtist

This is indeed what I've applied for in the interim, but in the long term surely I need to apply for one of the major benefits?

Unbelievably the benefits people seem to be bereft of knowledge on the matter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Well, you did say it was unique.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

smcgiff wrote: »
    Well, you did say it was unique.

Surely your travel insurance will cover you?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Arbiter of Good Taste & Timberrrrrrrr if you have an issue with a post, please do not drag the thread off topic - just report it. Off topic posts deleted.
    OP posted on this matter before, but he is asking direct questions related to SW benefits which this forum is dedicated to. Please read the forum charter - posts should be helpful and constructive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

This is indeed what I've applied for in the interim, but in the long term surely I need to apply for one of the major benefits?

I'd say that is the right one, longer term I'd guess in the absence of PRSI contributions you would be looking at one of the means assessed schemes, DA if the injury keeps you out for over a year or JSA if you are able to start looking for work again.

marco_polo wrote: »
    I'd say that is the right one, longer term I'd guess in the absence of PRSI contributions you would be looking at one of the means assessed schemes, DA if the injury keeps you out for over a year or JSA if you are able to start looking for work again.

Thanks a lot for the reply, the welfare people are asking for weekly GP letters which is why I want to switch schemes.

I want it to be known that I'm not out to scam the system and genuinely need assistance.

I've just discovered that the SWA payment is only 186 eu per week as apposed to 188 eu for JSA/JSB. Does anyone know why this is?

I swear, the welfare department in this country is run by a bunch of clowns.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

This is not a forum for criticising the Government or staff of Government Departments. Please read the forum charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Have you established HRC already?
    Im not a fortune teller but something tells me you've a battle ahead especially if you bite the hand that feeds you by being verbally abusive.
    Best to remember that you have no automatic entitlements and you are effectively asking for state financial aid , from a country emerging very slowly from financial ruin, where families are being made homeless every day, because you fell while on an exotic holiday.
    If someone or something was negligent in your fall then you should look to them for compensation. If not then you have to take personal responsibility for that and the fact that you didn't pay medical insurance when working in the US.
    So cooperate with yhe bunch of clowns as best you can and try to get better soon.

• Advertisement

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    Have you established HRC already?
    Im not a fortune teller but something tells me you've a battle ahead especially if you bite the hand that feeds you by being verbally abusive.
    Best to remember that you have no automatic entitlements and you are effectively asking for state financial aid , from a country emerging very slowly from financial ruin, where families are being made homeless every day, because you fell while on an exotic holiday.
    If someone or something was negligent in your fall then you should look to them for compensation. If not then you have to take personal responsibility for that and the fact that you didn't pay medical insurance when working in the US.
    So cooperate with yhe bunch of clowns as best you can and try to get better soon.

How will I know when HRC is established? Will I be informed as such from said clowns? It all seems like such a disjointed maze to be honest --especially dealing with the equally inept HSE at the same time.

I think your tone is a bit out of order tbf. I was trying my best to live my life abroad and suffered a horrendous accident. I was costing the state nothing and paying my own way in the world. Returning to claim was an act of absolute last resort, that I promise.

And there was nothing luxurious about my 'holiday', it was a backpacking trip with a daily budget of 20$.

A bit of sympathy wouldn't go amiss...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

It looks as if the only help the state can/will give you is Supplementary Welfare Allowance, as according to what you say with regard to the expected duration of your illness you wouldn't satisfy the eligibility criteria for Disability Allowance even if you did satlsfy the HRC.

You state that you worked in the USA. Are you entitled to any payments from SSA as a result of your Social Security contributions? This should be your first area of research as that's where you made your most recent contributions.

It looks as if the only help the state can/will give you is Supplementary Welfare Allowance, as according to what you say with regard to the expected duration of your illness you wouldn't satisfy the eligibility criteria for Disability Allowance even if you did satlsfy the HRC.

You state that you worked in the USA. Are you entitled to any payments from SSA as a result of your Social Security contributions? This should be your first area of research as that's where you made your most recent contributions.

I still need some pretty extensive treatments so the USA is one of the last places to go.

Is there a time limit on SWA?

I doubt you are going to pass the HRC.
    Go to citizensinfo website and read up about it.
    What it basically says is that people can't arrive in Ireland and demand money. That includes Irish people. Does that not make perfect sense to you?
    So far you've demanded medical care and SW money and neither services meet your apparently high standards.
    If you've been making your own way in the world then wheres your rainy day money?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

I still need some pretty extensive treatments so the USA is one of the last places to go.

Is there a time limit on SWA?
    If you mean the duration of the payment - no, as long as you're not entitled to any other type of payment & your circumstances (medical/financial) don't change.

With regard to payment from SSA I didn't mean returning to the USA - you may or may not be able to claim it from Ireland. This is something you'd have to find out.

I doubt you are going to pass the HRC.
    Go to citizensinfo website and read up about it.
    What it basically says is that people can't arrive in Ireland and demand money. That includes Irish people. Does that not make perfect sense to you?
    So far you've demanded medical care and SW money and neither services meet your apparently high standards.
    If you've been making your own way in the world then wheres your rainy day money?

If you ever take a step out from your cosy little life into the real world, you'll discover it's not always possible to accumulate 'rainy day fund'.

The medical card is sorted and I'm waiting for confirmation from the welfare people.

They didn't seem to think there would be a problem so it looks like you CAN turn up and make a claim. It appears to be fully at their discretion.

Lol. So mortgage/kids/job/marriage/sick elderly parents is not the real world but climbing in Peru is! Best of luck OP your gonna need it. Let us know how you get on.

Lol. So mortgage/kids/job/marriage/sick elderly parents is not the real world but climbing in Peru is! Best of luck OP your gonna need it. Let us know how you get on.

I'll wager my 186 eu allowance you still live in the same county you grew up in. Anyway, thank you for condescending-- I mean helping me.

I will of course keep you updated on my progress so you can vicariously know what taking a real risk in life feels like.

I'll wager my 186 eu allowance you still live in the same county you grew up in. Anyway, thank you for condescending-- I mean helping me.

I will of course keep you updated on my progress so you can vicariously know what taking a real risk in life feels like.

You couldn't be more wrong . Im not even in the same hemisphere. And I didn't go running home to whinge and complain this first hiccup I hit. Your attitude is getting you nowhere but I think you'll soon learn.

You couldn't be more wrong . Im not even in the same hemisphere. And I didn't go running home to whinge and complain this first hiccup I hit. Your attitude is getting you nowhere but I think you'll soon learn.

You mean you're not even contributing towards my 186 eu allowance and still feel entitled to condescend and criticise?

You have some brass neck, madam.

• Advertisement

You mean you're not even contributing towards my 186 eu allowance and still feel entitled to condescend and criticise?

You have some brass neck, madam.

Im not from this hemisphere. I've been working here non stop since 21. Unlike you. I Wouldn't go running back to my birth country crying and complaining with my hand out. I suppose your mooching off your family aswell.im not the one with the brass neck.

Im not from this hemisphere. I've been working here non stop since 21. Unlike you. I Wouldn't go running back to my birth country crying and complaining with my hand out. I suppose your mooching off your family aswell.im not the one with the brass neck.

Are you even a native English speaker? It's hard to tell from your error strewn, incoherent posts.

I care little about what you think-- not withstanding the fact that you contribute towards my 186 eu allowance. Life is easier when you have a wealthy husband's coattails to cling to.

Come back when You've found yourself alone in a 3rd world country with serious, life threatening injuries.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement