Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

social anxiety

Options
  • 29-11-2014 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭

do you have any experience with this? i would say i am quiet, but not anxious socially. im just curious as to what its like to be crippled by something like this, what it feels like on the inside as a disorder.

i think i may have a degree if it when it come to talking on the phone, i get a bit nervous when anticipating ordering a takeaway or booking appointments etc. someone heard me answering a phonecall and said i spoke quite loud, 'roaring' as they put it. dunno if its nerves or just projecting my voice to be heard. anyone get similar feelings?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I have social anxiety but I've been making a lot of progress with it lately and have start coming out of my shell more and feel more comfortable around people. I think anyone that has problems with it should definitely get help as it can be a horrible thing to deal with and can potentially ruin your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Odd how we aim to even everyone out in this way..

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

Graces7 wrote: »
    I don't see your point. Social Anxiety is not a personality trait, it's an unpleasant state for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Graces7 wrote: »

im not sure what you mean by that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

Hi just wondering what tips you have? Pretty sure I have it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

stimpson wrote: »
    Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.

****ing hell. I came to post this exact thing, but a younger, better looking poster already got there 4 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Join a club like Lions club or better still a local Toastmasters group.

Every type of person is in both and they are particularly good if you want to improve speaking skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,861 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm currently trying to figure out if it's my anxiety that causes me to be anti-social, or is it just that people are dicks and I can't be dealing with them anymore.

Anxiety is horrible, I thought I had beat it after leaving my second last job, but it came back again. Luckily, i've changed jobs again since and I'm better, but I find it hard to figure out if I still have it or if I just hate life in general. And then I worry about it, which causes me to be anxious, and the circle continues!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Social anxiety is uncomfortable and reduces quality of life for those who suffer from it, its not a quirky personality trait, everyone would be happier if there were better ways to get rid of it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

It's a tough one because it effects different people in different ways. Almost verging on agoraphobia.

Saw this on reddit the other day and thought it would fit... It's not meant to be a "oh thanks, I'm cured" thing. Just something to think about.

2yr6czsxjmy01.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

I'm currently trying to figure out if it's my anxiety that causes me to be anti-social, or is it just that people are dicks and I can't be dealing with them anymore.

Anxiety is horrible, I thought I had beat it after leaving my second last job, but it came back again. Luckily, i've changed jobs again since and I'm better, but I find it hard to figure out if I still have it or if I just hate life in general. And then I worry about it, which causes me to be anxious, and the circle continues!

Could be people are just dicks,I used to be very sociable,not so much anymore and I think people pick up on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Have a ****

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If you can put a name to it, you can medicate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,861 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Have a ****

Daily, sometimes twice or thrice! Helps for the 7 odd seconds the orgasm lasts for, but it's back then straight away!

Also, I really hope that's your answer to every question with a handle like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Have a ****

Ah the aul panic ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Cleopatra_

Depending on the social situation I can seem like quite the extrovert. If I met you in a pub you'd probably think I'm confident and outgoing. However, I always feel like I'm saying the wrong thing or that I don't know quite know how to follow social etiquette and I manage to get it wrong. My friends/family tell me that I come across as normal in my interactions with people but I get the feeling that people are just being polite about me being an oddball. Coupled with low self esteem about how I look, recently I've been bordering on agoraphobia I'm so reluctant to go out. To see people and be seen. It isn't helped by the fact that healthwise I've been too unwell to work so I can stay at home all day every day if I want to. If I'm ever well enough to work again I'll be such a reclusive weirdo who doesn't know how to make small talk that I'll never be hired again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

If you can put a name to it, you can medicate it.

The Brits and the Irish have been self-medicating this for years. What's worse for you a small does of Xanax or 8 pints followed by a sexual assault charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The Brits and the Irish have been self-medicating this for years. What's worse for you a small does of Xanax or 8 pints followed by a sexual assault charge?
    In my experience the benzos are merely an addition to the 8 pints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

In my experience the benzos are merely an addition to the 8 pints.

They really should be an either or thing...

I know I know I've been there myself, but still, jess saying :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I have it, and it can be pretty bad at times. However, I learned to act and have a character role. Work me is not me at all. I come across very confident and secure but it's just a persona. I then spend the rest of the time trying not to panic about what I did and said when I'm in my "social character". I even got a new job based on how friendly and helpful I was in my old job, but if anyone knew the actual me, they'd know that it's a performance (I joke about how I deserve an oscar at this stage).

If someone suggests meeting new people, I feel sick. I'm still not comfortable in my partner's house 4 years on. I've actually hide in my room instead of meeting visitors. I can lie in bed all night thinking about all the things I said and did that could be wrong or bad. My method of coping probably isn't healthy but it works for now.

Advertisement