Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White Wine help for Christmas

Options
  • 29-11-2014 1:16pm

Some help if you could please.

Neither myself nor my wife are big drinkers and are both clueless when it comes to wine.
    When we do have a glass we both prefer White.

We are having a dinner party on Christmas Eve with a few close friends.

The food will be mostly fish, seafood and salad with no meat or chicken.

Now what wine would people suggest? Looking for a white wine. Nothing like vinegar, some sweetness but not too sweet, but crisp tasting.

Budget would be about €10-€12 per bottle.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,818 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

TheTorment wrote: »
    Some help if you could please.

Neither myself nor my wife are big drinkers and are both clueless when it comes to wine.
    When we do have a glass we both prefer White.

We are having a dinner party on Christmas Eve with a few close friends.

The food will be mostly fish, seafood and salad with no meat or chicken.

Now what wine would people suggest? Looking for a white wine. Nothing like vinegar, some sweetness but not too sweet, but crisp tasting.

Budget would be about €10-€12 per bottle.

Any help appreciated.

Maybe a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc.
    Or a dry Reisling (might not get that on budget, though)

Maybe a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc.
    Or a dry Reisling (might not get that on budget, though)

Thanks for that.

Any suggestions of names? Ive a Tesco/Aldi/Lidl and Supervalu close to me. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

You cant go wring with a pinot griogio - you can get some nice bottles for under €10. Aldi and Lidl have great deal the only thing sometimes I find you get a headache after them...

There is a loverly pinot called Gabriella its Italian loverly and light very nice - suits all taste as it is Fresh not too sweet and not too dry
    Tescos do a Ogio pinot

I think it is all good to go out and get a Sauvignon but it might just go well with the fish and not taste too nice after if you were to have a few glasses...

Macon Villages is a nive wine too

• Registered Users Posts: 22,755 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Bear in mind that some people do not drink white wine, or any wine for that matter, regardless of the type of food served. It may be worth having a bottle of red & a couple of beers at the ready. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,818 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

TheTorment wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

Any suggestions of names? Ive a Tesco/Aldi/Lidl and Supervalu close to me. Thanks

Now I think about it, Aldi do a very nice Alsace Reisling for €10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

Anything from the Marlborough region in New Zealand. It was recommended to me by a friend a few years ago for the exact same reason as you are looking for and I haven't drank a different white wine since. Right in your price range too. Get them in any off licence and Tesco

Advertisement