Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carer's Allowance Problem

Options
  • 29-11-2014 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

I know there is a thread on this but I didn't want it to get lost in with everything else.

My Dad had a massive stroke on Tuesday, he's still in a coma and we honestly have no idea what he will be like when he wakes up. Dad was my profoundly autistic brothers carer and as he is not well enough to care for him, his claim will probably be cancelled.

We don't know what to do next, the social worker said to apply to the CWO for supplementary income support as my Dad's allowance and part time taxi earnings are now gone.

If Dad dies, then Mam will have to give up work and apply for carers allowance for my brother. If Dad survives, then she will need to care for both of them but Dad could be in recovery for several months so it's all a bit confusing.

Should my Mam get the ball rolling on carers now and get reduced hours in work organised? The last application took 18 months to process and it was just insane all the crap they went through. Even the lady who came out to inspect the house and meet my brother was genuinely upset about how my Dad was treated by the office.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Ok. Sorry for all your current woes. If your mam either takes complete carers leave or can cut down to 15 hours then she can apply for carers BENEFIT straight away in respect of your brother. She can get it for 104 weeks and her job has to be kept open for her. As it's a benefit its processed quite quickly. Just include a note explaining that your dad eas the carer and they will cancel his claim
    If your dad survives your mam will be able to add him to her carers.

Advertisement