Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In squash, have to say please to get let?

Options
  • 28-11-2014 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

Just wondered, have you to say please in squash during a match to get a stroke or let, I have a habit of not saying that and just stopping and looking up to the ref.
    The guy I was playing said I didn't call a please, but I thought it was enough to just stop and look at ref?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭dizzyg

How does the ref know you're asking for a let? (how many times have you thrown your eyes up to the heavens after scuffing a shot, or looked up to the balcony at your team-mates for inspiration..) It's not enough to just look up. You're asking the ref for a decision, after all.

If you don't ask, you don't get! All day long.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Yeah, agree. I'm new to the game and am just learning to call. Takes a bit of getting used to in the heat of the moment.
    Critical part of the game though.
    Refereed a game at my club this week and the amount of strokes not called was amazing. Definite strokes. Guys were playing around each others legs and loving it ;).

To answer your question.......you have to call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

you will often see more experienced players stop and simply look to the ref, and an experienced ref that we had recently expressly told us before the game that we did not need to call just stop play.

now there is a big difference between stopping and not attempting to play a shot at all and charging into the front corner racket back and then simply looking around to the ref after it looked like you were not going to get there.

unless you are playing at a high level with good refs id always call. getting to the point when you know when to call is one of the most important aspects of improving your game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

I know when to call, it's just a bad habit of not calling and just stopping and looking at the ref, I know I should actually call it.
    Suppose I get a bit annoyed if I look the ref gives it and the other player complains that even though the ref knew I was calling it by stopping and looking back, the other player wants to hear it.
    Is it not up to the ref if he or she is ok with me calling it or looking back to call it. It's not up to the other player to tell the ref how to do their job?

Advertisement