Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vinyl Record Conversion

Options
  • 28-11-2014 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Apologies if this is in the wrong place.

My parents have a number of records, and a decent enough player, however my Dad recently mentioned he would like to convert the vinyls to either CD or Mp3. With this in mind I thought I might be able to buy something to do this for Christmas. I did some searching on boards, but could only find old threads.

Any advice, recommendations, or ideas much appreciated.

Regards,

Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭peter05

Hi rob,

It needs to be done manually. Are you familar with with recording software. You would need to clean the disc and de static. Then record into a DAW and clean up the static and hiss again. It's a time consuming job and needs a fair amount of attention to get it done correctly.

Best
    Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭budhabob

peter05 wrote: »
    Hi rob,

It needs to be done manually. Are you familar with with recording software. You would need to clean the disc and de static. Then record into a DAW and clean up the static and hiss again. It's a time consuming job and needs a fair amount of attention to get it done correctly.

Best
    Peter

Cheers Peter,

I am not familiar, but the more I read into the matter I think it may be something beyond either me or my dad.

Thanks for coming back to be so quickly.

Regards,

Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Dramatik

You can buy usb turntables that do it. Or you could just record them into your computer using a program like audacity, just make sure it doesn't go into the red when recording or you will get distortion.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

We do this - we use EMT or Thorens turntables, a variety of cartridges (depending upon the type of groove/record), a selection of preamps, Prism or Apogee converters, CEDAR denoisers, and some EQ. We always clean the records thoroughly before playing with a fluid cleaner. The minimum you need to do a satisfactory job is: a cleaning machine, an 'entry level' audiophile TT, a nice preamp and a good audio interface (or you can get an interface with RIAA filters built-in, e.g., Prism)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

Is there a service available that can do this for me for a fee?

I have one LP I'd like converted as a Christmas present. Don't really want to buy equipment or learn how to do this for one album.

Found one place that charges 50 per album (plus extra for postage). The LP itself only cost me 2 dollars so I would like something a bit more affordable if anyone knows anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

Where are you?

Advertisement