Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Bonus Question

Options
  • 28-11-2014 1:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi

Could anyone tell me if I will be entitled to the bonus this year, I was on BTEA until a month ago (placement from June) but returned to JSA and deferred my college year because I found out I was pregnant. Not sure now if i'm entitled because of this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

It depends on if you needed to place a new claim or if your existing one was just transferred.

If the payment was changed but it stayed the same claim then yes, you should be once you were a long time claimant.

If you cancelled your BTEA and claimed JSA as a new claim then you will not be entitled to the christmas bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭baby_pebble

i am nearly sure it was a repeat claim form i filled in and had money in the post office the following week

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭badker

whats the situation with people who did a placement like Tus? will they be entitled to bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

badker wrote: »
    whats the situation with people who did a placement like Tus? will they be entitled to bonus

Yes.

Christmas Bonus
    A Christmas Bonus of 25% will be paid this December to people getting a long-term social welfare payment (minimum payment of €20) to help with costs over this period. This will benefit over 1.16 million people at a cost of €63.5 million.

The Christmas Bonus will be paid to people getting the following: State pensions, Invalidity Pension, Widow’s/Widower’s/Surviving Civil Partner pensions, Guardian’s payments, One-Parent Family Payment, Deserted Wife’s Benefit, Carer’s Allowance, Pre-Retirement Allowance, Disability Allowance, Farm Assist, long-term Jobseeker’s Allowance, Back to Work Allowance, Community Employment, Job Initiative, Rural Social Scheme, Tús, Gateway, Domiciliary Care Allowance and certain occupational injuries benefits.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/budget_2015.html

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

Balagan wrote: »
    Yes.

Christmas Bonus
    A Christmas Bonus of 25% will be paid this December to people getting a long-term social welfare payment (minimum payment of €20) to help with costs over this period. This will benefit over 1.16 million people at a cost of €63.5 million.

The Christmas Bonus will be paid to people getting the following: State pensions, Invalidity Pension, Widow’s/Widower’s/Surviving Civil Partner pensions, Guardian’s payments, One-Parent Family Payment, Deserted Wife’s Benefit, Carer’s Allowance, Pre-Retirement Allowance, Disability Allowance, Farm Assist, long-term Jobseeker’s Allowance, Back to Work Allowance, Community Employment, Job Initiative, Rural Social Scheme, Tús, Gateway, Domiciliary Care Allowance and certain occupational injuries benefits.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/budget_2015.html

Why aren't people on illness benefit getting it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭badker

any word on when it will be paid out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

badker wrote: »
    any word on when it will be paid out?

...If you are getting an eligible payment the Christmas Bonus will be paid during the week starting Monday 1 December and ending Friday 5 December 5. It will be paid on the day you are usually paid.

Domiciliary Care Allowance (DCA) is paid monthly on the third Tuesday of each month and people getting DCA will be paid their Christmas Bonus on Tuesday 16 December.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/christmas_bonus.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

How long is 'Long-Term' Jobseekers allowance?

I am 14 months on JA. Will I qualify?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭baby_pebble

Nomis21 wrote: »
    How long is 'Long-Term' Jobseekers allowance?

I am 14 months on JA. Will I qualify?

"long-term only, over 390 days or 15 months"
    according to the link above

• Registered Users Posts: 27 car crazy

I only get €13 pw , will I get anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

car crazy wrote: »
    I only get €13 pw , will I get anything?

Assuming you are long term and on a qualifying payment you will get the minimum payment of €20.

Yea sue I'm 3 yrs unemployed, the above amt I get is based on my husbands wage and I get €20 fuel allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

car crazy wrote: »
    Yea sue I'm 3 yrs unemployed, the above amt I get is based on my husbands wage and I get €20 fuel allowance.

You will get €20 extra in your next payment.

Thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dani27

I finished an internship a few months ago will that count? Or will I not qualify for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

what about back to education allowance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

What about casual worker cheque?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dani27

What about now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I am on Jobseekers Allowance since June 2013, but on an Internship since August, not sure if I will get it. I guess I will find out tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Mad_Dave

I was on a 9 month internship last year and on a springboard course currently, got my bonus today - €47 extra on top of my €188. Happy days :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭beautyqueen

I Haven't received anything today from casual jobseekers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Friend of mine only recently singed on last month and got €235 this week, he was a bit surprised by it as he had heard nothing about the bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

Xenji wrote: »
    Friend of mine only recently singed on last month and got €235 this week, he was a bit surprised by it as he had heard nothing about the bonus.

Lucky him!
    I am on illness benefit for the past 18months & didn't get the Christmas bonus & know one seems to know why people on illness benefit are exempt from the bonus....

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/christmas_bonus.html

It was announced in Budget 2015 that a Christmas Bonus of 25% will be paid in December to people getting a long-term social welfare payment (minimum payment of €20) to help with costs over this period.

If you are getting an eligible payment the Christmas Bonus will be paid during the week starting Monday 1 December and ending Friday 5 December 5. It will be paid on the day you are usually paid.

Domiciliary Care Allowance (DCA) is paid monthly on the third Tuesday of each month and people getting DCA will be paid their Christmas Bonus on Tuesday 16 December.

The Christmas Bonus will be paid to people getting the following payments:

Back to Education Allowance (people coming from jobseeker's payments must have been on their payment and/or BTEA for 15 months)
    Back to Work Allowance
    Back to Work Enterprise Allowance
    Basic Supplementary Welfare Allowance (long-term only, over 390 days or 15 months)
    Blind Pension
    Carer's Allowance and Benefit (including half-rate Carer's Allowance)
    Community Employment
    Deserted Wife's Allowance and Benefit
    Disability Allowance
    Disablement Pension and Widow's, Widower's or Surviving Civil Partner's Pension under the Occupational Injuries Scheme
    Domiciliary Care Allowance
    Farm Assist
    Gateway
    Guardian's Payment (Contributory) and (Non-Contributory)
    Invalidity Pension
    Job Initiative
    JobBridge (people coming from jobseeker's payments must have been on their payment and/or JobBridge for 15 months)
    Jobseeker's Allowance (long-term only - over 390 days or 15 months)
    Jobseeker's Allowance (Transition)
    Magdalen Laundry Payments
    One-Parent Family Payment
    Partial Capacity Benefit
    Pre-Retirement Allowance
    Rural Social Scheme
    State Pension (Contributory), (Non-Contributory) and (Transition)
    Tús
    VTOS (people coming from jobseeker's payments must have been on their payment and/or VTOS for 15 months)
    Widow, Widower's or Surviving Civil Partner's Pension (Contributory) and (Non-Contributory)
    The Christmas Bonus is also paid to people gettting Blind Welfare Allowance, Mobility Allowance, and rehabilitative training allowances from the HSE. Survivors of Thalidomide who get payments from the Department of Health will also receive the bonus. It will also be paid to certain participants on some Further Education and Training courses funded by SOLAS (people coming from jobseeker's payments must have been on their payment and/or training allowance for 15 months).

The Christmas Bonus is 25% of your normal weekly payment (including the Living Alone Increase, the Island Allowance and the Over-80 Increase). The Christmas Bonus does not include Fuel Allowance if that is in payment.

If an Increase for a Qualified Adult is paid directly to your dependent spouse, civil partner or cohabitant the Christmas Bonus will also be paid directly to them.

The Christmas Bonus is 25% of your normal payment (inlcuding any payments for qualified adults or children) with a minimum payment of €20.

Note that for Domiciliary Care Allowance (DCA) which is paid monthly the bonus is 25% of the weekly payment. The DCA portion of the Bonus is calculated independently of other payments. So, for example, if you are getting DCA for one child 25% of the weekly payment is €17.79. The minimum Christmas Bonus payment of €20 will therefore be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Finished ce in January and been on jsa since, got no christmas bonus, but if I was still on ce I would get it.

I cant see any sense or logic in that:(

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

Why does it only apply to long term unemployed? How is that fair? Makes no sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭Nollog

Oh, so this is why I got extra money this week, I was worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Chr15

I was assuming I was going to get this extra money - I have been on JA for nearly 2 years, 9 months of this on Jobbridge. I just applied for BTWEA, which I was granted. I filled in my start date as Jan 2015 but they entered me on the system as starting BTWEA last Monday (3rd Dec). Do you think that could be why I didn't receive my payment, although it lists both Jobbridge and BTWEA as being eligible as long as you have the 390 days.

Did anyone else not receive their bonus?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭paulc1000

No bonus here either was on job seekers then went on vtos course for 2 yrs and back to job seekers in June of this year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement