Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to education allowance query.

Options
  • 27-11-2014 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Just looking for a bit of advice in this one. I am a mature student receiving back to education allowance, this semester (September- December) I have been on work placement.

When I first started there was no mention of any payment for the placement so I didn't ask and just went ahead with it not expecting anything. Now I'm coming close to the end of the placement the boss there has told me he will give me "a couple of hundred euro", presumably bank transfer for my time there. So when I heard this at first I was delighted as I am driving there every day, with fuel and wear and tear on the car the costs add up over the months so would be great to get something back.

Now he asked me for my details name, address, DOB so he can put me on the payroll, so I started to wonder if this will effect my current situation or cause any complications with social welfare in relation to back to education allowance.

I have heard of other students getting paid weekly wages from work placements or some with part time jobs and this does not effect their BTEA payment. But I don't know what way this is done with relation to going on the payroll ect.

So if anyone has some knowledge on this I'm wondering, if I give the details and go ahead with it, will it be a bad idea in the long term ? Or should I speak to him and discuss how it may have implications with my current payments ?

Advertisement