Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Happy 30th Birthday W124 ....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

W124, when did they appear on the U.K. / Irish market. I have never seen any pre 1990 for sale. I have had a few post 1990, and they are a lovely car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

mattroche wrote: »
    W124, when did they appear on the U.K. / Irish market. I have never seen any pre 1990 for sale. I have had a few post 1990, and they are a lovely car.

Belgard Auctions had a 1988 one for sale about 3 years ago that I took for a test drive, it had been sitting for ages in an underground car park and had an inch of dust on it. I didn't buy it for many many reasons :) Bought a 1990 one in the UK instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

I thought you were congratulating yourself there for a split second W124man:).

Back in the day a neighbour of mine had one of the very first on an old style reg irish reg, so it was 1986.
    There is one on classiccarsuk at the moment its a c reg, he claims its '84 but its actually '86.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

Dermo123 wrote: »

Or whatever year you'd like!!! Here's my 300d estate for sale if anyone's interested..........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭w124man

I distinctly remember when I first saw a W124. It was in Blackrock passing the Frascatti shopping centre heading into Dublin. It was a grey saloon and I knew there and then that I would have one. It was early 1985.

Or whatever year you'd like!!! Here's my 300d estate for sale if anyone's interested..........

PM me a few details about the car and where it is .....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

A neighbour when growing up had one, a green diesel (I think) one on pre '87 plates. I can't can't think of the reg but they got it when it was a year or two old and only got rid of it a few years ago.

A piece of useless info for you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I had a 1988 Monaghan Reg. e230, in a kind of kakhi green for a couple of years. Had a 95 300d for 4 years, have a 93 280 on UK plates sitting in a shed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

The earliest I recall seeing the new W124 in Ireland was 85/86. They still look good even after all these years whereas other Mercs have aged badly.

My own W124 (really its a C124) is 20 this year so it has had a complete spruce up and is looking and driving as good as new again. :cool:

DSCF0178_zps40f983c9.jpg
    DSCF0177_zps83a3ec27.jpg
    DSCF0175_zpse3f3aa04.jpg
    DSCF0176_zpsf84d4413.jpg
    DSCF0174_zps9637dbeb.jpg
    DSCF0173_zpsd6227771.jpg
    DSCF0172_zps60889e19.jpg
    DSCF0170_zps5d515759.jpg
    DSCF0171_zps7eaec80f.jpg[/QUOTE]

What the link in the OP's first post says about the coupe according to Google translate.

In 1987, Mercedes-Benz is extending the model range of the 124 series again. First debut in March at the Geneva Motor Show two types coupe that complete the third body variant the offer. As in the 123 series consists technically and stylistically closely related to the sedan. However, the underbody of the model will be modified so that the coupe receives a shorter wheelbase by 8.5 inches. This underlines the sporty character of the two-door and makes him a constructive and formally completely independent body variant. The similarities with the sedan are limited to the stem and the rear lights.

The level reached by the 124 series sedans safety standard on the engineers for the coupes. The absence of the B-pillar is compensated through reinforced A-pillars, side skirts and doors and a particularly high proportion of high-strength steel sheets. Changing ways the designers at roof edge: The inner lining of the roof is pulled a piece under the rear window, which the safety and comfort of the rear passengers benefit: In case of danger, neither sheet nor disc edge is in the head. And since the roof falls far behind only obliquely despite the coupe form, the rear passengers is much more headroom available than you expect from a coupe. The overlapping area is laminated by a dark grid optically on the disc.

A characteristic design element that documented the independence of the coupe over the other body styles of the series, the rub strips with integrated side skirts. Located between the wheel cutouts at bumper height, they form the optical
    Link between front and rear bumpers and how these are painted in metallic contrasting colors.

The first model range includes the types 230 CE and 300 CE. Their engines, a 2.3-liter four-cylinder and a three-liter six-cylinder with mechanically-electronically controlled fuel injection, corresponding to the respective carriers. With regard to the mechanical components of the four-door coupes same anyway completely their counterparts. Externally, the types can be distinguished 230 CE and 300 CE only on twin-pipe exhaust of the six-cylinder and on the nameplate.

One of my four W124's .....

IMG_1425_zps146e16a0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭JohnxF

I'd a 94 e220 coupe until a couple of years ago when I traded up to the w140 coupe. I thought the w124 was excellent - and it was. But theW140 puts it in the shade as you would hope given the comparative costs.

Nice E230 for sale and cheap too.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C541497

Nice E230 for sale and cheap too.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C541497

I know this car as it belongs to an MB club member and I saw it recently. It is a lovely car and has had a good bit of money spent on it. Poor chap has failing health and cant look after it anymore. Its always sad when health gets in the way of classic car owning.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭El Kabong!

I've had a 300D 7 seater, and a 220TE 7 seater. Great cars and I'm sure I will own one again someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

The first W124 I saw in the flesh in Dublin was a "ZS" reg, red with beige interior like the LHD one shown above. I loved the look of it straight away.

I am currently trying to buy 2 124's, both unused for quite some time. It's trying to get their keepers to part with them is the problem. One will need quite a lot of work and the other very little.

Time will tell !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

JohnxF wrote: »
    I'd a 94 e220 coupe until a couple of years ago when I traded up to the w140 coupe. I thought the w124 was excellent - and it was. But theW140 puts it in the shade as you would hope given the comparative costs.

When I went to school I remember getting the w140 coupe brochure/pricelist from Mercedes Ireland. Lovely cars one is on my list at some point.
    Ive always like the w124 especially in saloon, the coupe shape didn't suit it imho. A 500e I wouldn't say no to:D

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭El Kabong!

The first one I saw was a neighbours. A wine saloon. All I can remember was being impressed by the rear light clusters....

• Advertisement

The problem with the W124 is that all the estates and saloons are being used up and the prices of good ones will soon rise. Good low miler estates are fetching more than coupes. The day will come when someone will ask ... 'where have all the W124 salons gone?' .... and it isnt far away!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

w124man wrote: »
    The problem with the W124 is that all the estates and saloons are being used up and the prices of good ones will soon rise. Good low miler estates are fetching more than coupes. The day will come when someone will ask ... 'where have all the W124 salons gone?' .... and it isnt far away!

Africa seems to be where they're going, especially the diesels. I could honestly say any 124's that are around now will still be around long after the modern rubbish Mercedes are passing off as cars, are long gone. The high road tax is the problem not the cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

If anyone is interested I'm selling one of my coupes to concentrate on the other

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭v240gltse

any pics/details of the coupe as they would help sell it ?
    Tommyboy40 wrote: »
    If anyone is interested I'm selling one of my coupes to concentrate on the other

the car is a 1995 220. 130,000 miles, Azurite Blue with mushroom leather. the interior is excellent, probably one of the cleanest you'll see but it's left down by scabby paint. i had planned to completely restore it but as I've got 5 cars there isn't the time and logic forces me to sell this and my BMW E36 vert. Also the other W124 is the same colour as my SL!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭tc20

In my eyes the W124 is an iconic MB - a worthy successor to the W123 (those in the know will argue the pre facelift models are the ones to go for).
    For me it ticks the boxes that MB were rightly famous for; solidity, mile munching capability, especially the diesels, conservative styling, austere spec unless you go for the top models :) and a model to suit every range & pocket.
    I love the pic in the link in the OP that shows the W201, W124 & W126 on the banked test track, god the 190 looks tiny!
    Having previously owned a W114 and W123, I was torn between a W124 & a W201 to replace the 123. I went for the W201 in the end, and am more than happy with it, and although the E500/500E is top of my lotto list, I may go for either another W201 or a W124 when the time comes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭newcar2016

Just bought a 1995 w124,well a family member passed it onto me, very nice!

although some scratches on it!

But will certainly hang onto it for as long as possible!

Best car ever! Any pics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭newcar2016

w124man wrote: »
    Best car ever! Any pics?

Don't think I can post pictures until I have more posts! Tbh I don't think it's in fantastic condition but sure doesn't matter!

• Advertisement

Gratuitous shot of one of mine. I have an Azurite blue one for sale at the moment, just had it's paint sorted too
    2015-04-05 14.14.45.jpg

Advertisement