Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triathlon coach

Options
  • 27-11-2014 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Could anybody recommend a triathlon coach? I have signed up for Dublin 70.3 and would like to put some structure to my training in 2015 as opposed to just doing my own thing. I am looking for somebody who will put together a programme for me and I can just check in with them once a week for an update. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

A few of the guys posting here are coaches, it might be a rules breach for them to promote themselves but a good start might be to ask peter kern, jackyback, or tunney who they would recommend :)

Also triathlon ireland may have a database of coaches seeing as they run the L1 and L2 courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mick085

That`s great thanks, will contact some of the names you mentioned. wouldn`t want them to breach the rules anyway. thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

mick085 wrote: »
    That`s great thanks, will contact some of the names you mentioned. wouldn`t want them to breach the rules anyway. thanks again

Before you talk to anyone be clear about a few things:

What are you trying to achieve? What do you want from a coach? What do you expect a coach to do and be able to achieve? Finally and most importantly are you willing to give total control of a significant portion of your life to someone else? Someone new?

Then talk to a few people. Find someone you get on with and "gel" with. Discuss things. Go from there. Don't rush in.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭frazzledazzle

If you arent in a club then join one - lots of clubs have coaches within who will guide you ............ suppose it depends on your level and what you are looking to acheive from where you are now ............. as in newbie, accomplished triathlete age grouper, podium .....

If you arent in a club then join one - lots of clubs have coaches within who will guide you ............ suppose it depends on your level and what you are looking to acheive from where you are now ............. as in newbie, accomplished triathlete age grouper, podium .....

Could not disagree more.

Some reputable Dublin clubs (and I am not for once talking about my former club) are pure sh1te when it comes to coaching. Worse than useless.

And I'm talking the group sessions. If there is any expectation of one-on-one coaching.

• Advertisement

Could anybody recommend a triathlon coach? I have signed up for Dublin 70.3 and would like to put some structure to my training in 2015 as opposed to just doing my own thing. I am looking for somebody who will put together a programme for me and I can just check in with them once a week for an update. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Whats your history? Athletic history.

many here could suggest a course of action. Could be a book, could be an off the peg plan, could be living and training with Peter 24/7 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 If_Only

As the guys say loads of coaches out there and need to set the objectives of what you want to achieve. I did Mallorca 70.3 in 2012 and had a program done by Stephan Lynch Go Tri (google it as I can't post URL's) and was very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mick085

thanks Guys, appreciate the advice, I am part of a club, its a relatively new club which is fast growing. Problem is the coaches are only recently trained up and are not really experienced. I am looking for a structured program that I can follow to achieve the best time possible for me! My athletic background would mainly be running, cross country, road, half and full marathons etc. I find myself aimlessly going out on the bike of running with no real plan for the session.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Ceepo

thanks Guys, appreciate the advice, I am part of a club, its a relatively new club which is fast growing. Problem is the coaches are only recently trained up and are not really experienced. I am looking for a structured program that I can follow to achieve the best time possible for me! My athletic background would mainly be running, cross country, road, half and full marathons etc. I find myself aimlessly going out on the bike of running with no real plan for the session.

Where are you based. Might be a help to have a coach in our area,

List of Triathlon Ireland Coachs and the area's they are based in,

http://www.triathlonireland.com/find-a-coach.html

Edit to say that its not up to date as i know some of the coachs on the list have Level 2 course done also

Advertisement