Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boss issue

Options
  • 27-11-2014 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am hoping you can give me some advice.

I have recently changed managers in my job (which I have been working in for several years) and my colleagues (around 3 of us) have faced continuous issues with this manager not responding to emails, not actioning items and left us feeling that we had to resolve issues ourselves. We have been left out of meetings, missed out on group emails within the wider department and left us a bit isolated.

As we felt we were not able to fix the issues directly with him as he seemed more interested in social media & surfing the internet, we went directly to his manager for a meeting. He listened to us and took our concerns on board. Today, I sent an email to my manager asking for an update on an issue that I have been waiting for since Monday. The tone in my email was probably a bit too strong but I felt frustrated. He pulled me into a meeting telling me not to CC his manager on any emails as it was nothing to do with him. He told me the tone in my email was not acceptable and could be deemed abrasive and rude. I said a colleague was out of the office for several weeks (2 weeks now) when I should have said a couple but got the word wrong, he told me to not lie in the email. He challenged me once before about my tone in an email which I felt was out of order (because there was literally nothing wrong with what I said/or how I said it) and a colleague verified this. He then said he didn't want to have to tell me this a third time (which makes me think he will try to take it to HR next time)

I wanted a day off, yet he told me that it was his decision whether I got it or not. I felt so upset at the end of the meeting. I feel like he is trying to push me out and I ended up crying after it. I feel so stressed and even the thought of going back in makes me upset. I have now got to the point where I am scared to email him or IM him in case he deems it rude.

Sorry for the long email :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

So , new boss, Went over his head, sent him a e-mail that you admit was rude and got upset when he correctly has to force the point that leave is at his discretion.

So, other then you being a bit of a nightmare employee what is the point of this thread again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

So , new boss, Went over his head, sent him a e-mail that you admit was rude and got upset when he correctly has to force the point that leave is at his discretion.

So, other then you being a bit of a nightmare employee what is the point of this thread again?

The point of the thread is in the first line. (Greater attention to punctuation and syntax would help readers of any future posts).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I'm not trying to be funny or sarcastic, but how much of the post did you actually read? OP, you gone over your Managers head because of their lack of motivation to do almost anything, I would advice you to take these point over your Managers head again to their Manager again and HR. Somethings, a rare occasion at that, employees have to manage Managers.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,677 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I guess my reaction is that Wabbit Ears is blunt but correct.

Based on what has been written, the OP's manager is expecting them to get on and do the job, rather than having to be hand held, and yes that means resolving your own issues, and making sure that all communications are polite.

My advice would be to stop bitching with the colleagues, put the head down and work hard, and also to work on wider relationships in company.

Also, stop using email to communicate with the manager, if it's proving not to be an effective technique for working with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Itzy wrote: »
    I'm not trying to be funny or sarcastic, but how much of the post did you actually read? .

I read the entire post more than once, Removed the emotive side and broke it down to the actual statements being made.

So, As bumble says, whilst blunt, the pertinent points show the employee to be the problem here instead of the boss.

We can only work with the facts as presented.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Sounds like a manager who is very hands off. or maybe just not a good manager. it doesn't really matter either way. But theres nothing you can do to go around them. Theres no point in tackling the manager head on. Complaining even with valid complaints isn't generally well received. As the others say just put your head down, and look at other opportunities in and out side of the current job. Maybe you can laterally move to another area, or company. In the meanwhile do as much as you can, and bring anything else to the manager attention. If they don't respond to emails, give a verbal summary and send a email afterwards as a summary and a record, if any one looks for it the future. Don't expect or request a reply. If theres an issue that beyond your remit, pass it upwards, and don't stress about it.

Enjoy the freedom that not having a manager constantly over you, gives.

Sounds like a manager who is very hands off. or maybe just not a good manager. it doesn't really matter either way. But theres nothing you can do to go around them. Theres no point in tackling the manager head on. Complaining even with valid complaints isn't generally well received. As the others say just put your head down, and look at other opportunities in and out side of the current job. Maybe you can laterally move to another area, or company. In the meanwhile do as much as you can, and bring anything else to the manager attention. If they don't respond to emails, give a verbal summary and send a email afterwards as a summary and a record, if any one looks for it the future. Don't expect or request a reply. If theres an issue that beyond your remit, pass it upwards, and don't stress about it.

Enjoy the freedom that not having a manager constantly over you, gives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Don't see any problem here for you to be honest.

Your boss is crap? Keep notes of tasks assigned and requests for information and why you are late doing whatever task. When the sh1t hits the fan, present these. If the sh1t doesn't hit the fan, relax, do nothing, catch up on social media, or look for another job, depending on your personality type.

Simple.

Rule # 1: Cover your own ass.
    Rule # 2: See Rule # 1.

If you're boss is anything like mine, they have hundreds of emails they don't read. So hence I'd give a verbal update of important stuff, then back it up with an email with all the detail. Otherwise they could claim (correctly) that you know they don't read emails so its not enough notification for critical issues. Email is a useful way to keep a record of verbal conversations (incl phone calls) when you are dealing with people who like to avoid being responsible for things. Though people like to change things in the email. So you have to make sure they are accurate if someone is sending them to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

You (or you and your other colleagues who feel the same) should have sat down with this chap and had a frank discussion with him. Going over his head before you have tried to address the issue with him directly was always going to backfire as long as this person remains your supervisor.

• Advertisement
Advertisement