Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stranded in Blanchardstown

Options
  • 27-11-2014 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

I made it as far as Blanchardstown with 12km to spare, but I cant charge as I haven't received my RFID card yet. The helpline can't remotely start the fast charger as there is another Leaf already plugged into the slow charger at this point.
    I am waiting for the other Leaf owner to return so I can access the fast charger (with their card hopefully)
    Do I have any other options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Result, the other Leaf owner just helped me connect to the fast charger. Older and wiser!!

You don't need a card lately, they're open until they figure out the communications issues, but don't automatically assume you don't need one either.

One trick is not to pull out the plug before pressing stop on the charger itself, seems to cause issues.

Thanks Mad Lad.
    Unfortunately the fast charger in Blanchardstown does require a card to start the charging process.
    I was aware that there were fast chargers that dont need the card, indeed I thought they were all that way.
    Ah well you live and learn.
    Unfortunately you also need a card to stop the charger in order to remove it from your car, DOH.
    However there is a quick solution to my second conundrum: hit the emergency button.
    Unfortunately the help desk managed to switch off all the chargers so my friendly Leaf buddy is probably coming back to a cold car, it is however fully charged.
    So I learned a few lessons today, mainly switch off the charger timer when not in use. That was the cause of todays little excursion i.e. my Leaf sat in the car park in work today not charging as my timer was set for 10pm.
    Hopefully my RFID card will arrive tomorrow and relieve some of my stress.
    Still loving the Leaf though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭Mech1

Way too much like hard work for me, sorry, gallon of diesel in the boot if im stuck. But everyone to there own I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Mech1 wrote: »
    Way too much like hard work for me, sorry, gallon of diesel in the boot if im stuck. But everyone to there own I suppose.

Ha, u drive around with a gallon of diesel in the boot :pac:

• Advertisement

liam7831 wrote: »
    Ha, u drive around with a gallon of diesel in the boot :pac:

Yep, but im a mechanic so in fairness its not only for personal use.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭dubrov

Kaboom in a collision

dubrov wrote: »
    Kaboom in a collision

Diesel? going "Kaboom"?

Dont think so.

Just imagine what it was like for the first owners of cars with internal combustion engines all those years ago, petrol stations were unheard of :eek:

macnab wrote: »

So I learned a few lessons today, mainly switch off the charger timer when not in use. That was the cause of todays little excursion i.e. my Leaf sat in the car park in work today not charging as my timer was set for 10pm.
    Hopefully my RFID card will arrive tomorrow and relieve some of my stress.
    Still loving the Leaf though!

Yeah,not disabling the charge timer is a common mistake that prevents charging at public charge points.

Do you have a charge point in work ? I'm trying to get them to install charge points in work. I have a leaf for 2 days, had one a few months ago for 2 days, love it. Don't want to get back in the prius even if this car is the bog basic XE with quick charge.

I drove to work today at 100 kph and even with the inefficient heater on at 19 degrees had about 50 kms spare so could probably have done it at 120 Kph easily, I didn't even pre heat the cabin. It doesn't have the much more efficient heat pump.

Trip was just over 80 kms one way, because I had to return home after forgetting my mobile, so about 8.5 kms extra ! Doh!

Charged up at newlands cross, about 3.5 miles from work for 30 mins from 23-78% that was a good while my guess is because the battery was cold. I can't find my dongle to use the leafspy app to see how hot or cold it was before and after fast charging.

I'm not sure I could do this daily, I'll be on shift sometime in January, 12 hrs and not sure if I can drive to qc and back and wait for charging. It could be done at lunch but I don't fancy that at 1 or 2 am night shift. However I charged more than I needed because I had to go somewhere after work. So a 20 min charge is most likely all I need for an 84 mile round trip.

I would most likely make the 15 mile trip back to the Nass fast charger and charge on the way home either, actually the more I think about it i could be glad of the 20 min rest after a shift. If I make it to Naas I may need only a 15 min charge. From Naas 50% is all I would need.

I would love a drive in the Kia soul ev, bigger battery and battery heater so even in the cold once the battery is warmed up it should take a full charge unlike the Leaf/e-golf/zoe/I3 the i3 has an optional battery heater.

It't got real potential for winter driving, tested as having 100 miles range at 100 kph @ 25 deg C weather, so cold will reduce range somewhat because of the heater but will still be more than the Leaf by a decent amount.

I must admit that Leaf is a hell of a lot of fun to drive when you're not worried about range. That instant power is addictive and great at nipping in and out of traffic and at roundabouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

I laughed today when I pulled into a statoil station to collect my parcelmotel stuff. There was a leaf with no driver charging. Time wasting exercise... I rocketed out of there with my 250bhp:D
    To each their own though. I can see the point that it is mad burning liquid hydrocarbons a valuable irreplaceable product useful in chemicals and plastics to fuel cars.
    Im thinking population control is the solution though. 10 million people in 0 AD and 6500 million just 2000 years later madness....Supposedly an intelligant race my arse.

If work install a charger for me then happy days.

250 hp is cool but for most of my driving I wouldn't need it.

You should take a spin in the Leaf is great fun when you know you don't have to worry about range.

I think I could put up with a daily qc a wet min rest after a 12 go shift doesn't actually sound to bad the more I think about it.

The MK II should be more than good enough.

I have done the sports car thing and have got to the stage where comfort is more important to me than speed. I have commuted in anything from Honda 50's up to 400 bhp supercars. I have suffered range anxiety in a 15mpg 300bhp Jap rocket when the fuel gauge goes below quarter full so nothing new there.
    EV's are not suitable for everyone, but I am happy with mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Just imagine what it was like for the first owners of cars with internal combustion engines all those years ago, petrol stations were unheard of :eek:

i heard they used to carry a horse around in the boot...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

I have done the sports car thing and have got to the stage where comfort is more important to me than speed. I have commuted in anything from Honda 50's up to 400 bhp supercars. I have suffered range anxiety in a 15mpg 300bhp Jap rocket when the fuel gauge goes below quarter full so nothing new there.
    EV's are not suitable for everyone, but I am happy with mine.

I have a hard time explaining to my Ice friends what it feels like driving along at 50 mph and putting fuel into the EV. Zoe magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,050 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I have suffered range anxiety in a 15mpg 300bhp Jap rocket when the fuel gauge goes below quarter full

That's hardly range anxiety. At that point you still have about 60km left, nearly twice that if you drive it slowly. That's further than a Leaf can go on a full charge :pac:

unkel wrote: »
    That's hardly range anxiety. At that point you still have about 60km left, nearly twice that if you drive it slowly. That's further than a Leaf can go on a full charge :pac:

It was a Lexus Soarer 2.5 twin turbo, when the needle hit quarter full it was time to start worrying. There possibly was about 60km left in it but there was a very temperamental fuel gauge in them. It would start flashing Japanese text as if it had started a self destruct sequence ha ha. Very soon a large orange light would appear, I think it also flashed text about 13km remaining. 24 hour petrol stations were not a common thing back then either, and I was working shift hours and commuting from the sticks 40km from Dublin city.

Advertisement