Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2008 Audi A5 1.8 TFSI - worth upgrading to A5 2.0TDI?

Options
  • 27-11-2014 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

I'll be leaving the country for 4 months and I'm not certain I'll working in Ireland when I'm back. I'm working in Dublin now and have a short commute. I'm from Kilkenny so I weekly make the journey home.
    In my 1.8 TFSI automatic petrol I'm getting around 650km (combined - lot of city driving) per tank. I am trying to decide if it's worth selling the A5 and trying to purchase a 2.0TDI A5 when I'm back as I will likely have a longer motor way commute. TDI's are normally 4-6k more expensive as well.

Can anyone advise what mpg they are returning under normal conditions for a 2.0TDI?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Lots of city driving = huge wear on DMF, filthy EGR valve and clogged up DPF.

Stick with petrol unless you're doing 16-20k miles a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

€4k to €6k difference between the price of a petrol and diesel A5 buys you a lot of petrol. And if your not certain you will be staying in Ireland when you get back then you would be crazy to change cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Jesper

Sobanek wrote: »
    Lots of city driving = huge wear on DMF, filthy EGR valve and clogged up DPF.

Stick with petrol unless you're doing 16-20k miles a year.

The plan was sell my Petrol A5 now before I go abroad. Then in 4 months time if i'm staying in Ireland look to buy the A5 Diesel when I''m back. And the likelihood is that if I'm staying in Ireland at that time my new job will have me doing 20-30k a year so a diesel will be even more valuable at that time.

Right now I'm doing about 20k a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Jesper wrote: »
    The plan was sell my Petrol A5 now before I go abroad. Then in 4 months time if i'm staying in Ireland look to buy the A5 Diesel when I''m back. And the likelihood is that if I'm staying in Ireland at that time my new job will have me doing 20-30k a year so a diesel will be even more valuable at that time.

Right now I'm doing about 20k a year.

Sounds like a plan to waste a lot of money, to be entirely honest; Especially since you don't know where you are going to end up in the next few months.

It'd be ideal if you have somebody here (family member, trusted friend etc.) you can leave the car with for the next 4 months and then decide when you have a clearer picture.

Alternatively, if you have no option and/or need the cash, sell now and then see what's what when you come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

As a 2008 1.8Tfsi A5 owner, I think you would be mad.
    The petrol car is very cheap to maintain, smooth and with a nicer type of power compared to the diesel imo.
    Even if you saved 1500 per year on fuel, the outlay doesn't add up really and one repair on the diesel like a dpf could wipe that out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement