Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from JSB to JSA....how long?

Options
  • 27-11-2014 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Im hoping for a little bit of advice if anyone can help me.My 6months JSB is due to run out in about 2 weeks I think, around 10 Dec but I havent been givem the exact date. I have been in receipt of JSB since 10 June so guessing 10 Dec?

A few weeks ago I received a letter advising that my JSB was soon to run out along with a form to apply for JSA. I completed the form but heard nothing since. Yesterday, I received another application for JSA in the post so called incase they hadnt received my completed form.

Anyway, the SW assured they had received it and that they would bw in touch once they have looked at the form but Im getting really worried that it wont be sorted and that Il be left with nothing over Christmas. My claim should be quite straightforward, single, not cohabiting,no kids etc so Im thinking it shouldnt take too long but as far as I know Il still have to meet an inspector?

Would really appreciate any info if anyone has had any experiences of moving from JSB recently.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭dashdoll

I said I would update this as would really appreciate any advise from anything who has moved from JSB to JSA recently.

I rang the SW office again this morning just explaining that I had sent in my JSA forms a few weeks ago but hadn't heard anything back yet and that I was getting a bit worried as I wasn't sure what date my JSB was due to run out but that I knew it was soon.

What I was told on the phone left me shocked. The lady I was speaking to said I had about 12/13 days of stamps left so I will have a payment next week but maybe not a full payment the week after. She said 'if I notice in the post office that there is no payment for me' then give them a call' and they can start the process for my JSA application. I think that is something that I would notice alright in the middle of December!

I imagined the process would be an awful lot quicker and that by me sending in the forms weeks ago they would be able to ensure that there would be little or no gap in payments especially as it is around Christmas..am I asking too much.

Really worried now about the whole situation. Should I just call back to the office next week because it cannot be that they dont process any JSA claims until my JSB is fully ran out....seems ridiculous.

Would appreciate any info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Hi,

Exactly same situation happened to me about three months ago, I was only posted out a form ten days before my stamps ran out, posted out form immediately and got a call from the SW office three days before my stamps ran out asking why I hadn't sent my form back.

Had to reapply again that day, got another letter couple of days later saying I had to go for an interview, which I went to. By the time I had the interview think I had maybe two days left on my stamps. Woman at the interview said my application would have to be sent off again to be assessed and should get an answer in a week or so, by which time stamps had run out, so keep in mind after the interview, application will be sent off again!!!

But you can go to CWO and explain your situation, and they should be able to approve a payment for you weekly, took three weeks for my claim to be decided, but got paid by CWO for those three weeks.

Thanks for the reply, glad to hear you got sorted!

If I don't hear anything from them by the middle of next week I think I'll go back to the office because its ridiculous.

I mean, why bother sending me the forms weeks ago if they are still not going to process them.

I suppose I'm not too familiar with the system and I found it a bit much that they would just say 'well if you've no payment in the pot office, give us a ring'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Yeah, "system" is sh1te, not long in in myself. Just keep ringing and asking them what's going on. If you are called for interview ( don't know if everyone is or just my bad luck!!) you will need to bring bank statements etc. along with you also!!

Still haven't heard anything and my stamps are due to run out next week so this week is my last full payment. Submitted the forms to move to JSA weeks ago.

Going to go into the SW office tomorrow, terrified they will tell me it will take 6-8 weeks or probably longer with Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 mau_52

Same problem here. They actually stopped the payment (for the wife) and because my weekly earnings are HUGE (520/week after tax) she will be getting about 35 euros a week!

best of luck!

Finally got confirmation today that my change from JSB to JSA has been approved and that it will be in the Post Office tomorrow.

However, I was told that I would be receiving 270e as opposed to 376e (for my two weeks payment this week) as when you're stamps run out you are treated as being a new applicant to JSA and therefore, you are not paid for the first 3 days of your claim for JSA. I was not paid for the first 3 days of my JSB claim either but it is a bit annoying that I didn't cop it until now.

I should have thought of this myself but I didn't unfortunately...not ideal for Christmas week but its better than nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

You shouldnt have 3 days waiting going from jsb to jsa. The payment date does change so that may be the reason that your payment is less.

Thanks for the reply.

I rang my SW office to inquire and the lady I was speaking to advised that my JSB ceased on 10 Dec and that my JSA is payable from the 15 December so unless it's a relatively new policy that switching from JSB to JSA is a break in payment and constitutes a new claim.

Maybe I'll try ring somewhere else and find out for definite....confusing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

You need to look into this further there shouldnt be waiting days in this particular instance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement