Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do people still go to their local T.D. for help?

Options
  • 27-11-2014 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭

Due to personal circumstances my wife & I have returned to Ireland after spending 10 years in the U.K.
    We have both been looking for employment but unfortunately we haven't found anything. We are both on JSA
    I applied for rent allowance was refused by my local CWO, was then told by someone else that I should be able to get it so went back. He was on holiday & there was a woman instead I explained my situation & she said I was able get it & she would leave a note for him. Went back the following week & he refused it again. While in the waiting room I was advised to go to my local T.D. if I had any problems.
    So do people still go to there local T.D. if they have problems? My dad always uses his local councillor. Do they really help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Are you on your local authorities housing list? Or have you been renting for 6 months and you were able to afford the rent when your tenancy commenced?
    Is the house your renting within the limits for your circumstances in the County you live in? Did the CWO initial refusal come in writing? If so, what were the grounds of your disqualification? Did you appeal it?
    Its not as simple as explaining to a locum CWO and they simply verbally telling you that you would be entitled.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    Are you on your local authorities housing list? Or have you been renting for 6 months and you were able to afford the rent when your tenancy commenced?
    Is the house your renting within the limits for your circumstances in the County you live in? Did the CWO initial refusal come in writing? If so, what were the grounds of your disqualification? Did you appeal it?
    Its not as simple as explaining to a locum CWO and they simply verbally telling you that you would be entitled.

Great reply...

NB As my TD is Healy Rae....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

We're on housing list, we have been renting for 8 months & we could afford it
    The house is within the limits. The refusal is in writing & the appeal has been sent in today
    I was told it could take a few months but was told a T.D. or local councillor might be able to get the process sped up

Graces7 wrote: »
    Great reply...

NB As my TD is Healy Rae....

??

Help!!!! wrote: »
    We're on housing list, we have been renting for 8 months & we could afford it
    The house is within the limits. The refusal is in writing & the appeal has been sent in today
    I was told it could take a few months but was told a T.D. or local councillor might be able to get the process sped up

What was the grounds for refusal and what is the basis for your Appeal?

• Advertisement

Because I'm from a different county to the one we decided to live in (thought there would be better opportunity to gain employment)
    I am on the housing list now for the county I'm from.....on the website it says to be on a housing list, doesn't state it has to be the county your living in ( have had legal advice about it ) We have also rented for over 6 months.
    As I said the woman CWO who was in the office while he was away said we would be ok to get R.A. & this sort of thing happens regularly.
    I'm going to speak to another CWO in another town tomorrow & see where I stand
    But do people go to their T.D. or councillors for help on these matters?
    Or can they help on these matters?

I don't think there's any "pull" anymore, in my experience there used to be a small amount in that maybe a decision could be hurried up, but basically if you weren't entitled to something, you couldn't get it and that still stands.
    You should set out your case as best you can, I wouldn't bother pointing out the legalities of the situation, it wont further your position.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement