Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customs duty on ordering boxsets

Options
  • 27-11-2014 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

Sorry if this is in the wrong area, but maybe someone here will have this experience and can advise.

Ordered a blue ray boxset from Zavvi costing EUR 46.79.

An Post attempted delivery today noting with a customs charge of EUR 17.76.

How is this charge arrived at? That is 38% of the cost! Would have thought at most any customs charge should be the VAT i.e. EUR 10.76.

Can I choose not to pay, have it returned to sender and get my money back?

Any thoughts / advice?

Michael

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Import duty is about 11 percent. Then there’s VAT - 23 percent. And then there’s An Post’s handling charge.

Don’t order box sets from Zavvi. They are based in the Channel Islands which are outside the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Faker74

Import duty is about 11 percent. Then there’s VAT - 23 percent. And then there’s An Post’s handling charge.

Don’t order box sets from Zavvi. They are based in the Channel Islands which are outside the EU.

Ok thanks for the info.

Any thoughts on if my return to sender plan would work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

I've ordered quite a few movie box-sets from Zavvi over the years, the last one on the 2nd of this month. Never been hit with any customs charges. Price was never over €20 though, so I'm wondering is there a certain price at which Import duty and VAT come into play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

johndoe99 wrote: »
    I've ordered quite a few movie box-sets from Zavvi over the years, the last one on the 2nd of this month. Never been hit with any customs charges. Price was never over €20 though, so I'm wondering is there a certain price at which Import duty and VAT come into play.

There is. €22.

Advertisement