Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thursday 27th November

Options
  • 26-11-2014 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭

3.15 Newbury- Wicklow Brave @ 9/2

Wicklow Brave looks a nice price for a very competitive looking renewal of the Gerry Feilden Hurdle at Newbury. There are plenty of unexposed horses in this contest but Wicklow Brave could be thrown in off a mark of 144 if rediscovering his best form. Last season he put up some very impressive performances, followed by a few very dismal ones. In July he won a Galway bumper on good ground, before following up at Listowel by a short head on heavy going. He brought up a three timer in bumpers by winning by two lengths at Tipperary.

He was then off the track for 90 days before making a winning return in a Maiden Hurdle at Cork over 2 miles on heavy ground. This was an easy seven length win for Wicklow Brave and although the form in behind isn't great, he won by as far as he wanted. Next up was his most impressive performance, winning a listed event by four and a half lengths at Punchestown on heavy ground. The second and third that day are two very decent animals, both rated in the 140's over hurdles. His next run was also very impressive, in the Supreme Novices Hurdle at the Cheltenham festival. He was sent off just 8/1 and was second over the last but he faded badly in the final 150yards to finish sixth, beaten just nine and a half lengths. The form of this race is extremely strong, with a lot of horses winning and placing in subsequent races, including Grade Ones, Twos and good quality handicaps. A long season then started to catch up with the horse as he finished only fourth at Fairyhouse when sent off 5/4 favourite, before he fell in a grade one at Punchestown having not yet played his cards, although it is unlikely he would've won.

First time up at Down Royal this season he was a well beaten fifth but I would imagine it was a pipe opener, with Mullins also having the favourite in that race. Although a lot of unexposed types contest today's race, Wicklow Brave is undoubtedly the class act in this field and if he rediscovers his best form 9/2 looks a big price for him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Anyone who backed a horse on his chasing debut at 1/10 deserved to lose their money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ste2010

Anyone who backed a horse on his chasing debut at 1/10 deserved to lose their money

What happened didn't see race?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,406 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

ste2010 wrote: »
    Made all, was about 15 lengths ahead of two horses and about 1-2 furlongs ahead of the field. Fell at about the third last. Mighty impressive until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

ste2010 wrote: »

He was jumping lovely and running them into the ground, it was hard to see on phone as the cameraman had him and the second in shotbut looked like he overjumped and knuckled on landing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

if he can't get around in a beginners chase, he's going to find it very hard going at a proper clip over unforgiving fences at cheltenham on fast ground.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

if he can't get around in a beginners chase, he's going to find it very hard going at a proper clip over unforgiving fences at cheltenham on fast ground.

I'd be inclined to give him another chance, any horse can fall. As was said anyone who backed him today deserved to lose their cash

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭oPATCHo

Defo give him another chase, however... I worry he'll continue to jump around nicely in this low grade races, go to cheltenham as fav and then get found out when he starts jumping with the big boys

As its been said on here, silly throwing money at a 1/10 first timers over fences. Top marks to those who went against him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭rossom

I think 2.45 Newbury Gentleman John 12/1 looks very overpriced and with the dead 8 looks a good each way.

More Ann Stokell shenanigans in the 3:45. Waabel backed off the boards to 6/4. much bigger price in the exchanges.

More Ann Stokell shenanigans in the 3:45. Waabel backed off the boards to 6/4. much bigger price in the exchanges.
    9/1 to 6/4.

Rogues.

• Advertisement

Quest For Wonder with Betfred at 6/1 in the 4:25 for me. Don't see how this can be much worse off than the 10/11 favourite, both had a decent second last time out, although I suspect Quest For Wonder might just improve for the next run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭shmeee

9/1 to 6/4.

Rogues.

Layers got done there so. Won nicely in the end.

Was down nearly a stone!

Boyles were 1/12 before the live show opened up. For the love of God, that is taking the piss.

One of the lads was right beside where UDS fell and he said he got a bit tight and clipped fence and slipped then on landing, ruby was going for it even though well clear.

All the other jockeys started roaring then, he's down and were flat to the boards, haha.

You should watch the race before commenting.

With half a circuit to go the second horse was 15 lengths behind him and most of them were more than a fence behind him. In a 16 runner race the winner was over 50 lengths ahead of the 5th horse and finished the race in 4m 42s for a 2m2f novice chase on soft ground, struck me as a blistering pace watching it and without anyway of checking it certainly looks that way.

I reckon not many chasers would cope with the pace he can set, I still think he will go for the Arkle and dot in once he jumps around.

Shemale wrote: »

With half a circuit to go the second horse was 15 lengths behind him and most of them were more than a fence behind him. The winner was over 50 lengths ahead of the 5th horse and finished the race in 4m 42s for a 2m2f novice chase on soft ground, struck me as a blistering pace watching it and without anyway of checking it certainly looks that way.

I reckon not many chasers would cope with the pace he can set, I still think he will go for the Arkle.

Didn't he set a record pace last season over hurdles in Thurles?

Goes some clip by, a pure live wire.

I wouldn't worry too much about today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

The fact it was a fall in a Beginners Chase hardly makes much difference when it comes to UDS. He'd run as hard in a schooling session as he would in an Arkle. I've not seen the race or subsequent pushed out price I assume but if the mistake was as described on here I'd be more than willing to give him another chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

Shemale wrote: »

With half a circuit to go the second horse was 15 lengths behind him and most of them were more than a fence behind him. In a 16 runner race the winner was over 50 lengths ahead of the 5th horse and finished the race in 4m 42s for a 2m2f novice chase on soft ground, struck me as a blistering pace watching it and without anyway of checking it certainly looks that way.

I reckon not many chasers would cope with the pace he can set, I still think he will go for the Arkle and dot in once he jumps around.

I agree but I still think this horse is being campaigned appallingly (yes I say this even though he was unbeaten before today).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

No video of the whole race.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

I agree but I still think this horse is being campaigned appallingly (yes I say this even though he was unbeaten before today).

its all to do with the colours he carries, as it isn't the Rich Ricci colours, he just has to make do after all his aeroplanes have been given preference

if he was mine, I'd have sent him to be trained in UK, better novice chase campaign in UK for two milers

shmeee wrote: »
    Didn't he set a record pace last season over hurdles in Thurles?

Goes some clip by, a pure live wire.

I wouldn't worry too much about today.

Yeah he was electric, he did 2 miles on soft in under 4 minutes in a 3 horse race.

Ruby had his hands full trying him to get him to jump at a less exuberant speed

• Advertisement

Completely agree, should have lined up in the Champion last year, took the 70s for the Champion before todays race and will gladly back him for the Arkle at the bigger price after todays race.

No video of the whole race.

If you are on facebook, ATR have it on their page.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152754358840379&set=vb.47793375378&type=2&theater

Advertisement