Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seiko 5

Options
  • 26-11-2014 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hello, I have recently become interested in purchasing a good quality watch, but within a low price range. I really like the smart look and sleek style of the Seiko 5 range, especially the fact they have the stainless steel bracelet and are automatic. I find with quartz you just don't have the same connection to your watch and with a mechanical I'd probably forget to wind it up! Also, I believe Seiko do have very good Japanese movements and are generally quite reliable and good quality

The exact watch in question is the SNKL09K1 on Amazon for €315, with a 70% dicount leaving it at €86. I was wondering what are the general thoughts on the the watch, are they worth the price? Or should I just get a smaller branded watch with the same look?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭893bet

Buy it! You wont regret it!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

+1000 Seiko are a fantastic company with a great range of watches to buy today and throughout their history, a history that would put all but a couple of the "big names" Swiss companies to shame. Their movements can sometimes be a little odd with spares and servicing an issue, but that's only their vintage gear, not an issue with anything made in the last twenty years. The same movements are near bulletproof and can take years, many years of downright neglect before they stop and they rarely enough stop even then. I have heard from those in the know that their mechanicals*(outside of their Grand Seiko range) while accurate enough out of the box can sometimes vary a little, but that's not the movement's design's fault and apparently they can be regulated to pretty much chronometer levels of accuracy by a competent watchmaker.

TL;DR? Go for it, you won't regret it. Or what 893bet said. :)

*handwind or automatic they're both "mechanicals".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭blindsider

Ignore the fictional 'discounts' quoted by Amazon - that price is pretty fair.

HOWEVER - you won't go wrong with a Seiko 5 - super watch...won't let you down.

BTW - this is very similar - €75 delivered. Watchshop are very efficient.

http://www.watchshop.com/mens-seiko-5-automatic-watch-snxs79-p99934881.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

Seiko now makes watches in china

look for Japanese ones better quality

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

braddun wrote: »
    Seiko now makes watches in china

look for Japanese ones better quality

The Japanese ones also use parts manufactured in China. I have read that they just use Japanese nationals to assemble the watches. I don't think anyone has ever documented any difference in the quality of the ones marked Japanese and the ones assembled in Malaysia (not China).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

IRE505 wrote: »
    The exact watch in question is the SNKL09K1 on Amazon for €315, with a 70% dicount leaving it at €86. I was wondering what are the general thoughts on the the watch, are they worth the price? Or should I just get a smaller branded watch with the same look?

Don't forget if you sign up to receive Amazon's fashion email newsletters, you'll get 20% of your next fashion order, which includes watches:

As a first-time subscriber to the Amazon Fashion Store emails, we will email you a promotional code redeemable for 20% off your next purchase of eligible Amazon Clothing Shoes, Jewellery and Watch Store products (up to a maximum of 5 items) sold by Amazon.co.uk. Purchases from sellers other than Amazon.co.uk do not qualify. Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping* (*restrictions apply). You will apply the promotional code during the checkout process. See additional restrictions.

I got this Seiko 5 for stg£82 including delivery recently, using the above discount (you have to buy from Amazon itself, not a 3rd party seller using Amazon) and I'm very pleased with it - looks good, keeps great time:

51yxwEfk3EL._SL246_SX190_CR0,0,190,246_.jpg
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seiko-Mens-Automatic-Watch-SNZG13K1/dp/B0041L8ZRY/ref=sr_1_3?s=watch&ie=UTF8&qid=1417080207&sr=1-3&keywords=snzg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I bought a Seiko 5 recently while in New York, and I think it's a smashing watch for the money. The fact it looks very similar to a friend's beloved Rolex, but for a fraction of the money, is pleasing too. My watch has the 7S26-02J0 movement with a lovely midnight navy face. Should be easy to purchase for under €100 on the internet.

348671d1289333101-new-seiko-owner-7s26-question-about-where-made-snk793j1-up.jpg

Here's the Amazon US link - model no is SNK793

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

IRE505 wrote: »
    ...especially the fact they have the stainless steel bracelet ...

Just be aware that the bracelets on lower end Seikos usually aren't much to write home about. Wearable, yes ...good quality, not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

peasant wrote: »
    Just be aware that the bracelets on lower end Seikos usually aren't much to write home about. Wearable, yes ...good quality, not really.

Agreed, I found most of them to be quite light (at the cheaper end). Half the reason I chose my particular model was that it had a somewhat heavier bracelet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 IRE505

Thank you for all of this helpful information! It's great.
    Just one question though, is there any difference, apart from the looks between the SNKL09K1, SNXS79, SNXS77, SNK357K etc, because there seems to be many of the same watch, but they all have very small differences such as the colour, but none have any major differences in price and all have the same movements, or so it seems.

• Advertisement
Advertisement