Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpleasant atmosphere at work

Options
  • 26-11-2014 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Just hoping for a bit of advice. I started a job about 6 months ago, totally inexperienced and know very little. I am in an office with one other person who, although technically is not my manager, has been in the job years, really knows their stuff and I am pretty much reliant on in order to do my job as I need the explanations etc. from across the desk, so I have to get on with them.

They are really really negative though. Not towards me, although I don't know what they say behind closed doors to my manager, but about other people, the way the job works, even about our manager. They are always giving out and complaining about something. They also go between being really helpful towards me and sitting in stony silence communicating with me (across the desk) via email.

I am actually a really negative person myself, but all my negativity is directed towards myself and my ability to do the job, I think everyone else is really lovely in there. I'm finding it really hard to keep going in everyday, not knowing whether I'm going to get the helpful communicative personality that lets me learn how to do the job, the personality that sits in silence or the personality that gives out about anything and everyone. I'm just finding it physically draining at the moment.

My manager has asked me before on a few occasions how I'm getting on with the other person in the office and I always say fine, because they have never really said anything to me that should bother me, and I still really need them on my side to do my job. The person has been off a couple of times since I started and I really struggled.

My manager has also worked with this person for years and they seem to have a great working relationship so I'm afraid to say anything really.

This job is exactly what I need as I am just starting out in my field and I would struggle to get the range of experience I'm currently getting in another company, but I'm a bit soft at the best of times and this is really starting to get to me. I don't know whether to broach the subject, or just try to toughen up and deal with it. I have a review with my manager coming up soon, but I just don't want to rock the boat as they have worked together for so long.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Nothing you can do about the other person. I'd say you will get used to them in time so just get on with settling in an learning the job as best you can. Don't take their silence as them being critical of your btw. I'm very self critical as well and its really not a healthy way to be , i'm trying to lessen it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

Maybe you're actually doing a damn fine job! DOn't stress it, the other person is probably just used to working on their own (before you came in).
    I wouldn't say anything to your manager coz like you said, they haven't really done anything to upset you as such; and any day they are a little off with you, they could have something else going on at home.

Dont doubt yourself, or your ability. Ever. :)

Advertisement