Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working crazy hours

Options
  • 26-11-2014 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Going un-regged for this one.

I've recently joined a new company and am finding the expectation of working hours a bit....insane. I've worked in start ups before and am well used to 18 hour days but this seems to me to be beyond the norm and I would really like some advice on how to handle it.

Last week we worked Monday to Saturday, most of the rest of the team were in at least 9am to 10pm and I worked about 68 hours in total over the 6 days.

I understand when deadlines are tight and things have to be done then late hours are needed but last night my boss had the team in from 9 am until 4:30am. Nobody seemed to object but I feel this is more because they are younger and less experienced than I am.

I left at 11:30pm, I was so tired I kept making stupid errors. It seemed like everyone is working without question or complaint and I can't get my head around it. I have no problem standing up for myself but I don't want to be the person that looks like they're slacking. Can anyone advise how best to handle this? I'm fully up to speed with the law but I don't know if going on the aggressive quoting my contract is the best way to handle this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Blue Whale

Those hours are crazy.

There was a few weeks that I worked from around 6am to 10/11pm some days, and not far off those hours other days, as well as doing weekend work; but that was partly because I was trying to make up for my own shoddy work and partly because the business was going down the toilet.

Its a hard one to call, maybe you should look for another job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I've worked 20+ hour days occasionally, and I don't trust myself to drive anywhere after them.

Is the workload being managed correctly? Sometimes people work crazy hours very inefficiently... lots of sitting around waiting for something, and then flurries of activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

You can't sustain this for very long without it taking a toll on you. Working late is fine as long as it's isolated. You are describing a situation though where it seems to be happening day after day. Is there any end even in sight? Has anyone mentioned how you will be compensated (or not) for all of this extra effort? If there really is no end in sight then you may be as well off leaving and looking for something new. It's scary how working such hours can suddenly become the norm, and one ends up feeling guilty for heading home 'early' at all hours.

Advertisement