Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Mania retiring

Options
  • 26-11-2014 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,404 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/horse-racing/30203141
    Grand National-winning jockey Ryan Mania has announced his retirement from the saddle at the age of 24, saying he no longer "got a kick out of winning".

The Scot shot to fame by winning the Aintree showpiece in 2013 on the Sue Smith-trained Auroras Encore at 66-1.

Just 24 hours later, Mania was airlifted to hospital following a crashing fall at Hexham, in which he suffered a neck injury.

Mania has taken a previous sabbatical, in 2011.

His biggest win since Auroras Encore came on the Sandy Thomson-trained Seeyouatmidnight back at Aintree in April.

Mania cited an ongoing battle with his weight as the main reason for his decision to retire.
    Cornelius Lysaght, BBC racing correspondent

"When Ryan Mania won at Aintree, the photogenic, articulate young man from the Scottish Borders seemed to have the racing world at his feet. After a tumultuous time for the big race because of the deaths of horses, Mania, the first Scot to win in over a century, was a crucial part of the story which put the race back in the nation's good books. We've heard the apparent reasons behind this decision, but whether he stays away, we'll maybe have to wait and see."

"Of course I am sad that I am stopping, but it has been at the back of my mind for some time," he told the Yorkshire Post.

"People don't always see the sacrifices that jockeys have to make if they're to make the weight.

"I'm not being fair to myself if I carry on being miserable; this is different to last time, when I always knew I would come back riding at some point. I rode four winners the other week and I just didn't get that kick out of winning."
    Did not see that one coming. Very underrated jockey in my opinion, seemed to be able to get the best out of poor horses in chases over muck.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

Pity to see him go, like you say an underrated pilot imo. He left the game before though, iirc, went hunting hounds for a spell before returning to racing. Or am I thinking of someone else??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Got a bit of a surprise when I read this yesterday. Wasn't expecting it, but then if he's having problems with weight and not enjoying it, there's no point in continuing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,404 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

TheFarrier wrote: »
    Pity to see him go, like you say an underrated pilot imo. He left the game before though, iirc, went hunting hounds for a spell before returning to racing. Or am I thinking of someone else??
    Nope, that was him.

Advertisement