Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Window Blinds

Options
  • 26-11-2014 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

So, I've been renting a place for the last 3 months and using tinfoil as a window blind. I'm in the attic so the window would require a velux type blind. One of my housemates was onto the landlady about it when we first moved in but she said that it's not her responsibility. I'm inclined to disagree as I think having window blind/curtains is necessary.

Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Fit your own blind and take it down when you move.

Do you even need a blind if you're in the attic and there's not much daylight this time of the year. Unless you do shiftwork and sleep during the day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

There's nothing in the law that requires window blinds, unfortunately for you. Could you suggest splitting the cost in some way with the landlady?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭eet fuk

Meathlass wrote: »
    Fit your own blind and take it down when you move.

Do you even need a blind if you're in the attic and there's not much daylight this time of the year. Unless you do shiftwork and sleep during the day.

It's a south facing window and it's at such angle so that there's enough light getting in to disturb my sleep anyway. The house is near town so there's a fair bit of streetlight gets in at night too. It's totally manageable but I would prefer to have a blind and I just want to know if I have to buy it myself or not.
    There's nothing in the law that requires window blinds, unfortunately for you. Could you suggest splitting the cost in some way with the landlady?

Ah okay, so she's not obliged to supply one. That answers my question. Might ask her about splitting the cost.

Cheers folks

I'd have though curtains or blinds would fall under the list of things that must be provided by a LL.

My LL had no problem replacing a number of blinds where I'm living which were damaged by mold.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I'd have though curtains or blinds would fall under the list of things that must be provided by a LL.

My LL had no problem replacing a number of blinds where I'm living which were damaged by mold.

There are minimum requirements, such as hot and cold water, fridge, cooker, etc. but the standard that's required above that, for furnished properties, is then purely based on what someone will accept.

In your case, blinds were included and thus were the remit of the landlord to replace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Indeed, big difference between something being there and needing to be replaced and something having never been there that the tenant wants!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,859 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Even in a house that's being let unfurnished I'd expect there to be curtains or blinds. It's not something that's practical for tenants to buy as every window is a different size and shape. If they're not included in the minimum standards, they should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,436 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Replacing is different than providing something that was not originally there.

If it's not there when you move in, then there is no obligation to provide them

• Registered Users Posts: 23,436 ✭✭✭✭ted1

loyatemu wrote: »
    Even in a house that's being let unfurnished I'd expect there to be curtains or blinds. It's not something that's practical for tenants to buy as every window is a different size and shape. If they're not included in the minimum standards, they should be.
    Why should they be?

Some people like black out blinds, some people like light getting through. So you will never please people. Also in most countries tenants stay for years, so they like to decorate as they like

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

A quick solution would be to buy blackout material, cut to size of the window frame and attach with strips of Velcro. Easy to put up, take down and should be fully removable when you leave.

If you go for a more permanent solution, then you should clear it with your landlord.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭eet fuk

I've had a good look and it appears that the bracket and stuff is all in place, I just need the actual blind on a roller (rather than a full unit if you know what I mean). Anyone know where I might be able to get one by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Measure up, and try Argos. I got a blackout blind for my spare room in London for a very reasonable price. B&Q and Woodies might be good places to try too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Homebase and the likes have sections with roller blinds which can be cut to size.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I woudl see if I can confirm the actuial make of the window and, say its velux, get a velux compatible blind as angled windows generally arent suited to generic B&Q type window blinds.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Hop onto adverts or any of the other sites- and buy a couple of second hand children's blackout blinds? Very effective- and they'll normally come with a little pouch and everything- so when you're leaving you can simply bring them with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭kandoola

Theres a blind shop in Skerries where you can buy nice blackout blinds that you just push onto the glass and they stick. Little suckers on them. You open them by just pulling the bottom back and sticking that to the top.

I bought one for a .75m x .5m velux in my house. They cut them to size for you. That one cost €12.

They are a great job and no fitting or rollers needed. And you can take them with you when finished.

Advertisement