Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catcher in the rye v The Road v Garage

Options
  • 26-11-2014 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I've a bit of a problem at the moment. Could anybody who red either of these 3 books, or all point out some similarities or differences between them, under the theme of isolation.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

No. I did enough homework when I was at school. Do your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I've a bit of a problem at the moment. Could anybody who red either of these 3 books, or all point out some similarities or differences between them, under the theme of isolation.

Thank you
    Have you read any of those books? Have you any ideas yourself on the topic? Give us some info and then we can have a discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

One of them isn't even a book unless I'm mistaken. As was said you'll have to contribute something yourself first of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Wasn't 'catcher in the rye' the book that inspired Mark Chapman to kill John Lennon?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lcstudent15

Sorry should've said two books and one movie. I finished Catcher in The Rye last week, and the other two a few months ago,so theyre too much of a distant memory but it was just trying to find comparisons between them was what I was finding difficult.

Anyway, i was planning to talk about isolation under the following headings;
    Other characters: how mr gallagher and Brefney in Garage, Ely in The Road and, the 3 girls in the lavender room in CITR. How how these characters highlight the alienation theyre going through, and how its clear to us readers, their mental state, due to these characters.

The times there was hope for the characters but it didnt last. Papa and the boy finding the underground trench. Josies and david friendship taken away, and the catcher in the rye when he is in mr antoninis house for the night.

If anybody can think of anything else, i would greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

As said before, do your own homework, seriously.

Birneybau wrote: »
    As said before, do your own homework, seriously.

All i'm asking is for additional input, Other people on this thread who comment (except yourself and emeraldstar), didnt have a problem. Why bother commenting. Its not like im hjacking a thread you started? why does it bother you so much?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Its not like im hjacking a thread you started? why does it bother you so much?

Because if you actually read the books or watched the movie you'd be able to come up with some of your own opinions instead of asking strangers on the Internet to give you all the answers. Of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

On the Road and Catcher in the Rye are overrated shyte. How they're considered classics is beyond me. So tell your teacher (you're fooling no one) that..

I haven't seen Garage, I hear good things about it.

An File wrote: »
    Because if you actually read the books or watched the movie you'd be able to come up with some of your own opinions instead of asking strangers on the Internet to give you all the answers. Of course.

Right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

GerB40 wrote: »
    On the Road and Catcher in the Rye are overrated shyte. How they're considered classics is beyond me. So tell your teacher (you're fooling no one) that..

I haven't seen Garage, I hear good things about it.

Just to be clear, is it The Road, or On the Road that the homework is about, 2 different books

Dacelonid wrote: »
    Just to be clear, is it The Road, or On the Road that the homework is about, 2 different books

The road by cormac mccarthy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Dacelonid wrote: »

Well spotted, it's The Road. Not having read it I have no opinion on it.

Advertisement