Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cost of replacing battery in Toyota Prius

Options
  • 26-11-2014 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Hi, anyone have any accurate info on the cost of having to replace a battery in the Prius?

We are considering buying a 03/04/05/06 model and are just wondering in a worst case scenario what it will cost to replace a battery, as a lot of these cars for sale are well over the 100,000 mileage mark.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

ceekay74 wrote: »
    Hi, anyone have any accurate info on the cost of having to replace a battery in the Prius?

We are considering buying a 03/04/05/06 model and are just wondering in a worst case scenario what it will cost to replace a battery, as a lot of these cars for sale are well over the 100,000 mileage mark.

Sorry I don't know but try asking your question on prius chat.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

650Ginge wrote: »
    Sorry I don't know but try asking your question on prius chat.com.

Thanks Ginge, I had a look there earlier, seems to be all americans posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭sumo12

If you mean the Hybrid (High Voltage) battery, then instances of replacement are very rare. You would be damn unlucky to end up having to replace one, I would put it on the same level of occurence as a gearbox or engine blowing up, pretty rare. We have only swapped out a couple in the last decade and that includes some very high mileage cars (like all batteries, these like to be charged fully and regularly, so high mileage cars are not a bad buy)
    That said, if you were unlucky, you'd want to think around the €2k+ mark for replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

sumo12 wrote: »
    If you mean the Hybrid (High Voltage) battery, then instances of replacement are very rare. You would be damn unlucky to end up having to replace one, I would put it on the same level of occurence as a gearbox or engine blowing up, pretty rare. We have only swapped out a couple in the last decade and that includes some very high mileage cars (like all batteries, these like to be charged fully and regularly, so high mileage cars are not a bad buy)
    That said, if you were unlucky, you'd want to think around the €2k+ mark for replacement.

Yes thats the battery i meant, sorry should have specified that.

Thanks for that info, good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved from Motors to Electric forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

It's also possible to just replace the one or two cells that might fail. Plenty of advice etc on priuschat.
    As already mentioned they rarely, if ever, give trouble. Some reports of failure in very hot countries (Greece for example), but our climate seems fine.
    There's a taxi firm in Vancouver using a load of Prius's.....some with over 700,000 miles and no problems apart from general servicing !!!
    Probably one of the most reliable cars from the noughties, and an easy NCT pass.

I wouldn't worry about it.

The Prius is one of the most reliable cars ever built !

Change the gearbox oil every 160,000 kms. It's not part of the schedule but highly recommended on priuschat by people who got the oil tested. I did mine and it was manky.

The Mk II prius came out in 2004, the MK I was never officially sold here but there are a few imports around, they are rare.

The Mk III came out in late 2009.

My Prius 2007 MK II has 204,000 kms about 125,000 miles and a run to Dublin and back the old N9, M9 N7 and back (about 84 miles) in commuter traffic I average about 63-65 mpg, that's better than most manual 1.6 Diesel "manual" cars.

Only a dodgy suspension bushing in all that mileage and a few recalls, no failures. Brilliant car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭ei9go

"the MK I was never officially sold here "

Actually it was, I had a test drive in one at the Toyota main dealer on launch and there were maybe two for many years in the Waterford area.

News to me. Thanks for the correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Yeah they were introduced in Ireland in 2001 I'm almost certain.

• Advertisement
Advertisement