Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

working in a particular role adequately but being replaced

Options
  • 25-11-2014 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

A friend works for a pharma company for about 10 years in a QA role. For the past 2 years this v person took on a lot more responsibility with no increase in pay or revised job spec or title etc

Performance reviews were all good and no negative feedback.

The role which this person had being doing for the past 2 years was recently advertised to the public. My friend reckons that the company is possibly going to recruit someone else and is a bit peeved. They have interviewed for the role and interviews are ongoing.

Do they have any rights here?

Does anyone have any advice? Are they entitled to a job spec in light of the role being currently fulfilled?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,682 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Did you friend apply for the advertised position? Do they have the necessary qualifications?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭realtec

Yes, she applied for the job... is more than qualified from an academic perspective and as mentioned has been more or been operating in the role for the past two years for no additional money and putting in serious hours.

Performance review feedback whilst operating in the role etc was good. When it was advertised, the fact was not really relayed to her and she gets the impression that they have someone else lined up.

Now the position is still going through the interview stage and she is still in contention. However, some of the comments made during the interview would not inspire confidence.

Personally if it was me, and I was operating in the role, I would not be impressed. If there was a specific reason why it had to be advertised externally, then there should have been some communication as to the rationale behind it.

My advice was to express her dissatisfaction at the situation immediately and look for another job in the meantime, “should” she be unsuccessful in the current application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Alot of Companies advertise and interview for a particular job, but knowing only too well who they're giving it to.

I'd say your friend has nothing to worry about. It's simply just procedure. Once your friend does the interview I don't think that there's much to worry about unless there's a stroke being pulled to recruit a "relative/friend".

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭TopOfTheHill

hallo dare wrote: »
    I don't think that there's much to worry about unless there's a stroke being pulled to recruit a "relative/friend".

And what can be done in this case? What happens if the current employee does not get job, and relative/friend gets hired in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

And what can be done in this case? What happens if the current employee does not get job, and relative/friend gets hired in?

Nothing!

One could finger point all they want, but at the end of the day if Management want to hire a "particular person" then they will.

If the person involved was part of a Union then they could aproach the Union and state their case if they were to find out the "new" employee was a relation and the position was filled unfairly, but the flip side of that is you're marking your cards for a lifetime of hassle with Management, espically if it gets the person nowhere.

At the end of the day I think it's simply a formality that the Company are going through and all should be okay. Provided a good Interview was done that is.

Let us know how it goes OP

• Advertisement
Advertisement