Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of mould // Ultrasonic cleaning?

Options
  • 25-11-2014 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hi,

I use two slr bodies - rare japannese (Chinon CE3 1974) and one popular soviet (Zenith XP12 1986). Have a good few rare and popular lenses with total range from 18mm to 210mm (including famous Carl Zeiss Flektogon 35/2,4 which is quiet important t me). Unfortunatelly Ive left them wet a few days before my baby was born. After that I was busy young dad with no time for photo-trips so all my stuff was closed in the wet bag for half a year.

I opened the case recently and whole equipment was covered in white mould topped with feasting mould mites. I tried to clean it couple of times with several mould killers but it's still grows back. There are unreachable areas inside the cameras and lenses as well:(

Now I'm thinking about ultrasonic cleaning whole my stuff and my question is: Is it a good idea? Or maybe ultrasonic won't get rid of spores which seems to be the biggest problem? If it is good idea where can I find proffesionals who will do the job properly? Preferably Waterford.

Thanks for help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

The unfortunate truth is that you probably won't find anywhere that would take the job on at all if the gear is in that bad a condition for fear of "infecting" their own shop / workshop. The other unfortunate thing about mould is that it excretes an acidic substance that etches the surface of the glass so even if you managed to get rid of the mould, the glass could be permanently marked.

One thing I have been old is that mould hates UV light and if you leave your lenses, with apertures fully open, on a window ledge for a few weeks it could be enough to kill the mould. It's the damp and dark conditions of your bag that it really likes.

After I've been out on a shoot I take all my gear out and put it on a shelf on my book case. I know that isn't going to help you now.

Advertisement