Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler Service - Deal site

Options
  • 25-11-2014 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭

Anyone experienced this? Bought one of the deals for a boiler service. Had it done a few days ago and now the boiler has packed up. Checked the thermostat and it had been whacked up to max (which explained why the house was so hot). The boiler dosn't seem to be firing up and the rads are cold.

Is this just a co-incidence? The boiler has been working perfectly all year and is regularly serviced by the Gas Co. Can't help feeling that when they come back out I'll be told I need a new pump or other expensive part :mad:

Update - they returned and told me I need a new fan. Raging. It was perfect until it was serviced last week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Anyone experienced this? Bought one of the deals for a boiler service. Had it done a few days ago and now the boiler has packed up. Checked the thermostat and it had been whacked up to max (which explained why the house was so hot). The boiler dosn't seem to be firing up and the rads are cold.

Is this just a co-incidence? The boiler has been working perfectly all year and is regularly serviced by the Gas Co. Can't help feeling that when they come back out I'll be told I need a new pump or other expensive part :mad:

And unfortunately that could very well be the case. Machines can break down anytime, a service only reduces the chance of failure. Unfortunately it does not and can not guarantee something won't fail soon after. If the failure was down to something unrelated to a service e.g. control electronics then you'll just have to suck it up.
    Even if he did inform you that part is on the way out you would surely still have had to pay for repairs anyway unless parts &/or labour was inclusive in the offer.
    You would only have a claim against the RGI (Registered Gas Installer) if he failed to perform the service as contracted or in accordance with regulations/standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

slimjimmc wrote: »
    And unfortunately that could very well be the case. Machines can break down anytime, a service only reduces the chance of failure. Unfortunately it does not and can not guarantee something won't fail soon after. If the failure was down to something unrelated to a service e.g. control electronics then you'll just have to suck it up.
    Even if he did inform you that part is on the way out you would surely still have had to pay for repairs anyway unless parts &/or labour was inclusive in the offer.
    You would only have a claim against the RGI (Registered Gas Installer) if he failed to perform the service as contracted or in accordance with regulations/standards.

It's just suspicious that it should break down a few days after the so called service. The boiler was declared to be in working order :mad:

It's just suspicious that it should break down a few days after the so called service. The boiler was declared to be in working order :mad:
    Which it clearly was, he tested and certified it* and you had it running for a few days.
    What level of service was agreed and do you feel the agreed performance was not met or regulations breached.

* Presumably you were given a certificate of conformance with the RGI's reg number.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,355 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

How much did you pay the deal site for the original service?

Which it clearly was, he tested and certified it* and you had it running for a few days.
    What level of service was agreed and do you feel the agreed performance was not met or regulations breached.

* Presumably you were given a certificate of conformance with the RGI's reg number.
    On the cert the flue gas analysis had a stroke through it but in the notes section it says "did gas analysis". He was there for 40 mins. It cost €39 which was supposed to be half price. I've now been quoted €350 for new fan with reduced installation cost. Do you blame me being suspicious!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

If you get your car serviced then drive down the road and get a puncture you can't blame the mechanic.

A fan is not something you can foresee happening.

But its a kick in the teeth especially the crazy money for a replacement.

Maybe try source one on the net?

The cert thing just sounds like a paperwork error which he rectified.

All I can tell you from experience with my own boiler that flue exhaust fans are prone to failure considering the environment they operate in. Bearings can collapse preventing the fan from spinning or the motor can fail. I can't think of a single thing that anyone could do to cause a fan to fail days later so I suspect your fan was on the way out regardless.

€350 sounds very high for a fan replacement. If you're sufficiently suspicious then you could pay for a second opinion, not just the cost of replacement but also on whether the fan itself is actually at fault as opposed to something else.

You might source a new fan on the net but you would have to be certain it's the correct one and by law you must get an RGI to install it. I'm not too sure if an RGI would sign off on installing a part which he didn't source and can't stand over.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

If he did do a flue gas analysis he should have noted the details on the cert. Even if he drew a line through the boxes, he could have written the results in the comments section.
    €350 sounds very high for a fan replacement..

Not really, it all depends on which make and model boiler.

All I can tell you from experience with my own boiler that flue exhaust fans are prone to failure considering the environment they operate in. Bearings can collapse preventing the fan from spinning or the motor can fail. I can't think of a single thing that anyone could do to cause a fan to fail days later so I suspect your fan was on the way out regardless.

€350 sounds very high for a fan replacement. If you're sufficiently suspicious then you could pay for a second opinion, not just the cost of replacement but also on whether the fan itself is actually at fault as opposed to something else.

You might source a new fan on the net but you would have to be certain it's the correct one and by law you must get an RGI to install it. I'm not too sure if an RGI would sign off on installing a part which he didn't source and can't stand over.
    I've gotten a cheaper quote already! The boiler isn't firing up, the pilot light isn't coming on. How is this related to the fan or are the two linked?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,355 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I've gotten a cheaper quote already! The boiler isn't firing up, the pilot light isn't coming on. How is this related to the fan or are the two linked?

He would have been paid about €25 for the original service so while it's all circumstantial, I'd be in favour of the conspiracy theory - that he set out to generate a return visit to make the real money.

Any competent RGI should be up to his eyes with work at this time of the year with calls from his regulars whose boilers are acting up with the start of the cold weather. The fact that your man is doing cheap services via a 'deal' site in the middle of November speaks volumes.

• Advertisement

It's a safety thing. The boiler won't operate if the fan isn't generating enough vacuum to extract flue gasses. There a few other things which can cause this effect which is why I suggested have the boiler rechecked if you're not happy with the initial diagnosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

The fan is part of a series of safety mechanisms. If the fan does not work, then the boiler should not fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

coylemj wrote: »
    He would have been paid about €25 for the original service so while it's all circumstantial, I'd be in favour of the conspiracy theory - that he set out to generate a return visit to make the real money.

Any competent RGI should be up to his eyes with work at this time of the year with calls from his regulars whose boilers are acting up with the start of the cold weather. The fact that your man is doing cheap services via a 'deal' site in the middle of November speaks volumes.

And how would he do this?

coylemj wrote: »

I know an RGI who is meticulous at his job but he's not long gone independent and so hasn't built up a strong client base yet in an area with well established competition. I don't know if he does 'deals' but it would be one good way to get your name out to a larger audience.

Its actually a well established company in fairness to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

had a fan replaced last year on optimax model. 280 plus 120 for labour install so your price is about average.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

These guys are constantly showing up on €39 groupon, I got one before then I got a red light a few weeks later, after 2 call outs they couldn't figure out the problem then ignored all my calls.
    They had previously said no issue with boiler

Got it fixed by another company. Wouldn't please them to give them the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭baingal nancer

Got it fixed by another company. Wouldn't please them to give them the money.

Hi, how much did it cost you for new fan in the end? i ran into same problem this weekend, have a plumber to ring me back later with quote for new fan

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mully28

Unfortunately bought same deal last year & got my boiler serviced. Coincidentally the boiler stopped working a few days later. Had to call same company back to fix costing me more money. Complete gangsters & im hearing lots of people have had same problem. I've no problem naming & shaming them!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement