Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

holiday entitlements

Options
  • 25-11-2014 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi I'm just wondering about holiday entitlements.I went into work Saturday to check the roster for this week and my boss had me as been on a weeks holiday . I never asked for a holiday and I wasn't informed I had holidays to take.he never notified me about this or rang me to tell me he was putting me on holidays.Can he actually do this and make me take my holiday with only two days notice where I had to find out for myself.can I not pick and choose my own holidays any help would be great

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

You do not have the right to pick your holidays yourself but you need to given an appropriate notice (usually 30 days) and a few other things around it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

You are entitled to holiday leave as per time accrued but the timing is at the discretion of your employer. Employers are required to ensure you have taken holidays in the relavant leave year in accordance with the terms of your contract. Now, many employers stipulate that holiday leave cannot be taken during the busy December/Christmas period, especially in the retail and leisure/entertainment sectors. If you have untaken leave which cannot be used in December, your boss is ensuring that the leave is taken this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 chippycurry

So therefore he was in the wrong and should of told me a month ago is what your saying.Supposedly he gave me holidays in order to give another girl <<name mod-snipped>> who is last in the door hours.He also asked another girl <<name mod-snipped>>who is there before me if she would like to take her holidays but she said no she would work and just take the pay with her wages.Should I not of been asked like she was and also should she not be made take them soon aswel. Should I confront my boss in a nice manner about this.Thanks for your help.Also your not allowed take hols in the two weeks during Christmas but before then you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

So therefore he was in the wrong and should of told me a month ago is what your saying.Supposedly he gave me holidays in order to give another girl <<name mod-snipped>>who is last in the door hours.He also asked another girl <<name mod-snipped>>who is there before me if she would like to take her holidays but she said no she would work and just take the pay with her wages.Should I not of been asked like she was and also should she not be made take them soon aswel. Should I confront my boss in a nice manner about this.Thanks for your help.Also your not allowed take hols in the two weeks during Christmas but before then you are.

Silly question here but any chance your boss made a mistake? As in someone else asked for weeks hols and he marked you in by mistake instead of them? Have you spoken to your boss about it at all?

Nope he didn't make a mistake at all as people picked their winter holiday a month ago so it's me and another girl just left to take.He had the whole month to tell me I was intitled to a holiday so I could of picked my week ,like everyone else in the company picks whatever week they want.so he asked the other girl would she take a holiday but she didn't and now he never asked me and just put me down for a holiday.I didn't see my boss yet only my manager which has no dealings with holiday or pay as I want to know what to say when I go over and know what my entitlements are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,682 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If there are only two weeks left when holidays may be taken, and the end of the year is loomng, then most likely one of you has to go next week, and the other the week after.

It is not legal to let you work and pay the hours out instead.

Yes I do understand but should he not of informed us this then a month ago .The other girl isn't taking a holiday he is just giving her holiday pay on top of her wages.Should I confront him about this and let him know that he has to inform me at least 3 weeks in advance

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Yes I do understand but should he not of informed us this then a month ago .The other girl isn't taking a holiday he is just giving her holiday pay on top of her wages.Should I confront him about this and let him know that he has to inform me at least 3 weeks in advance
    Sounds like your boss is not up to speed on the law in general to be honest so no one call tell you what to do. Anyway print out this booklet; what you want is on page 10.

Thank you nody ☺☺

Advertisement