Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting satellite cables to a saorview combi box

Options
  • 25-11-2014 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭

I think this is in the right section but feel free to move it isn't!

Ok so dropped having a sky service and moving onto a soarview/combi box - http://www.tvtrade.ie/walker-wp645ts-hd-combo-video-user-manual.html

Now the old sky+ box has 2 cables with normal f plugs going into the box, and I use the RF out to send the tv signal upstairs to another room via magic eye/coaxial cable with normal tv antenna connectors.

Here's a terrible picture of what the setup is currently.
    eRUvwJq.png

Now the room downstairs where the sky+ box is, isn't where the saorview box is going to be used. So to save me connecting a brand new cable from the satellite to the saoriew box upstairs, I'm wondering can I simply just get a coupler and connect one of the cables from the satellite dish to the Magic eye/coaxial cable and use that able to go into the new saorview box upstairs? (red line in the pic)

And to get the best out of the combi box I need to use both the satellite and antenna inputs to get both Saorview and Freeview stations right + whatever else comes through on the satellite dish?

Hopefully it's just as easy as connecting those two cables but just asking to make sure before I give it a go tomorrow, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,498 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Replace the co-ax plug with an F-connector andd then use an F-joiner to connect the 2 cables - http://www.tvtrade.ie/tv-connectors/f-connectors.html

You'll require an aerial for the Saorview channels, do you have one?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

-=al=- wrote: »
    So to save me connecting a brand new cable from the satellite to the saoriew box upstairs, !

Be a long cable, the satellite is 23,000 miles away.

The combi box needs an aerial feed as well as a dish feed. The coax cable with IEC connectors may not be satellite grade, on the other hand it may be, need to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Yup have an aerial and have it all hooked up now with no probs!

F-male-plug-to-font-b-IEC-b-font-PAL-DVB-T-TV-female-jack-font.jpg

That little fella done the trick no problem... I have a decent 90% signal strength from the satellite dish to the box itself so all seems to be good with no hassle wiring a new cable or anything.

So Astra 2/Eurobird 1 (28.2E) with unencrypted scan is the only one I need to check right? I get some signal on another Astra and Badr

• Registered Users Posts: 15,498 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

So Astra 2/Eurobird 1 (28.2E) with unencrypted scan is the only one I need to check right? I get some signal on another Astra and Badr

Astra 2/Eurobird 1 (28.2E) is the correct satellite location where your dish should be accurately aligned. If you're receiving a signal from neighbouring satellites then the dish is not correctly setup and you won't receive the range of signals from the satellites you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

It will be a transponder with parameters also used at 28 degrees east, so it's just a signal from 28. Satellites all have to share the same frequency bands: interference between them is prevented by the directionality of your dish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement