Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UL courses?

Options
  • 25-11-2014 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I'm a 6th year student and I have no clue what course to do next year. I have it kind of narrowed down to a science or maths or engineering.
    Does anyone know what these courses are like?
    the Bachelor of science in mathematical sciences
    The bachelor of science in Financial mathematics
    The Bachelor of science in Economics and Mathematical Sciences
    Biomedical Engineering
    science Choice

Any recommendations or information will be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Science or engineering courses are not to be chosen for the sake of doing something in college. They are hard and require a lot of work and if you're not 100 % interested in them you'll have a hard time.

For engineering you need to be good at maths. Ideally you should be at B or A level in higher level leaving cert maths, and there because you understand it rather than because you've learned off the solutions. If you're not at that level, you'll have to put in a lot of work to get through.

I don't know enough about the mathematical courses to comment on them but I'd suspect a high level of mathematical ability would be needed also.

Before going any further, you need to sit down and think about what you're good at, and what kind of career you'd like to have. The course directors for all the courses are listed on the UL website: they're usually happy to answer queries on the courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

First year aeronautical engineering student here. For 1st year, aeros share their modules with biomed, mech and engineering choice students and we all have a common course layout for the first two semesters before branching off into our specific field. Week 12 here now and so far, I've found mechanics and computing to be very difficult. Maths isn't any better either. Like Chimaera said, you would need to be proficient in maths and physics. There is a lot of work involved in those two modules. Last year 65% failed mechanics in their exams which shows how difficult it is do engineering.

I wouldn't know anything else in science, finance or economics. I think there is another poster here that's doing Business in UL as well. He might post something about his course if that interests you?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Beargrylls01

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Last year 65% failed mechanics in their exams which shows how difficult it is do engineering.

I think you are overestimating the difficulty of 1st year mechanics, 65% of the year failed because a lot of 1st years aren't aware that work is needed to do well in these exams...

Engineering isn't that hard (most of the time) nor that bad, just time consuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ladderlad

I am a leaving cert student. I really dont know what to do in college. Ive been to many guidance concellors and they all come to the conclusion that maybe science and engineering are my best bets. Ive no physics ,ive honours maths but i am the type to learn off solutions rather than understand and ill probably get a C. Can anyone maybe in college tell me if im mad to think about science/engineering?

Engineering is not about how smart you are, it's about how much you are willing to commit to succeeding. You're statement is far too vague to answer though, elaborate more with your thoughts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 ladderlad

I get you. Hard work will be rewarded. Im suggesting that i may have to work too hard to keep up with no physics in my leaving and being only a moderate student at maths. Maybe i need more self assesment into what i want to do. As someone said earlier science or engineering are not something you chose for the sake of going to college.

ladderlad wrote: »
    I get you. Hard work will be rewarded. Im suggesting that i may have to work too hard to keep up with no physics in my leaving and being only a moderate student at maths. Maybe i need more self assesment into what i want to do. As someone said earlier science or engineering are not something you chose for the sake of going to college.

The maths difference between engineering and science are different levels of maths integration. Don't be afraid of either of them though.

You any more ideas about specific courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 aineb100

Ginger Unknown, as regards to the maths courses they pretty much have a common first year (mostly the same modules) so they're easy enough on letting people change at that stage. I will say that they are tough, there's a lot of hidden work involved. You don't have essays or projects for most of the modules, but you do have 70/80/90/100% exams at the end of semester so you would want to be fairly self motivated to keep up.

Ladderlad, I think you should have a look at some general courses like Science Choice lm117 or Engineering Choice lm116. They let you get a taste for a lot of different things and help avoid pigeon-holing yourself too early. And don't be afraid of not having modules. First semester of first year (and sometimes second) is spent getting people up to speed, making sure people are at the same level. They don't expect you to know things coming in. Sure, it will harder for you to pick up than people who have physics but it's not a deterrent.

Advertisement