Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flexitime in the Civil Service

Options
  • 24-11-2014 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

New to the flexitime system and wondering if someone needed to finish 40mins before core time (4pm) on two days on a weekly basis, what would be the available options for doing it? The person would have no problem working up the time during the remainder of the week, it's just leaving before 4pm that creates the hassle.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Well you're supposed to be in work between 2-4pm I think. You'll have to speak to your manager but I'd imagine it depends on your job. If you're in an office with public interaction you'd probably need to be there.

It would also create a precedent that might be unwelcome and create tension among your colleagues. What if everyone else in the office wants to leave at 3.20pm 2 days a week as well?

Have the conversation but prepare to be refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Glinda

Core working time is compulsory (unless you are work-sharing) and means you have to be in work until at least 4pm unless you are on an afternoon's leave.

I can't see leaving before 4 being facilitated to be honest, making up the time later is not generally acceptable. You might be able to negotiate worksharing shorter hours, but obviously this will impact on your salary (and pension).

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭KCC

One thing you'll learn in the civil service is that the rules are rules. All of the circulars are available on circulars.gov.ie (search for flexi-time).

There are options to leave earlier than 4pm, but they would usually mean taking less pay, e.g. you can take parental leave in hours. The only thing I can think of where you could leave earlier and get paid for it is if you were breastfeeding - again there are limits to this.

Otherwise, there is no way that any sensible boss would agree to what you want as it would cause problems with HR, your colleagues and possibly the Unions.

Basically I wouldn't ask unless you are proposing a way of doing it "by the book".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Even a relaxed manager / colleagues might have a problem with this.

Advertisement