Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COMPUTER TECHNICAL SUPPORT (CORK)

Options
  • 24-11-2014 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi there!

Anybody knows if there is a computer technician that doesn´t charge just for having a look my laptop? At the moment I have been in a couple of them in the city centre and surroundings but all of them charge me just for taking a look and I´m not pretty sure there is a solution for my "little one" and I don´t want to pay for nothing :/

Thanks very munch!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭brevity

GONZA wrote: »
    Hi there!

Anybody knows if there is a computer technician that doesn´t charge just for having a look my laptop? At the moment I have been in a couple of them in the city centre and surroundings but all of them charge me just for taking a look and I´m not pretty sure there is a solution for my "little one" and I don´t want to pay for nothing :/

Thanks very munch!!

Any clues at to what might have happened to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 GONZA

brevity wrote: »
    Any clues at to what might have happened to it?

Hi, it´s the second time this problem happens to me.... with different laptops! Basically, I´m not able to charge the battery and the problem is neither the battery nor the cable.....so it could be the plug :( The first time the solution cost me around 100€, and this time I wouldn´t like to pay much more than that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

What was the solution the first time?

Is it a new laptop or 2nd hand? How old? Make?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Most laptop chargers have the same figure of 8 connection from the transformer to the plug, so you could switch it and see if that's the issue.

You almost certainly have another figure of 8 plug connector in the house that you can swap it out with. Take a look at any hifis, radios, tvs, printers etc.

edit: This is what you're looking for:
    41vb8BEol-L.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Hi there!

Thanks very munch!!

So you want a company to look at your computer, see what the problem is and do it for nothing? Jeez

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Dbu wrote: »
    So you want a company to look at your computer, see what the problem is and do it for nothing? Jeez
    Yeah, got to agree with this.
    The time they spend looking at your laptop, is time they could spend fixing another laptop (and getting paid for it).

Whether they are charging you too much to look at your laptop is another matter.

I think the OP would be best suited to find a "if we don't fix it, we don't charge you" kinda deal. No way you could expect a company to find the problem and let you walk out the door without paying anything.

Or, the OP should respond here and hope a few boardsies can help narrow down the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Bacchus wrote: »
    I think the OP would be best suited to find a "if we don't fix it, we don't charge you" kinda deal. No way you could expect a company to find the problem and let you walk out the door without paying anything.

Or, the OP should respond here and hope a few boardsies can help narrow down the problem.

The days of 'no fix no fee' thingy are well gone Id say
    People have to charge for their time whether the machine is fixable or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

PC Services on Woods Street, off Washington Street, do a free check on your computer and then let you know how much the repair will cost. Certainly was like that for me about six months ago when one of my laptops went wonky. They took it in and rang me a couple of days later telling me what was wrong and how much it would cost to fix it. I found them to be very good.

daveyjoe wrote: »
    Most laptop chargers have the same figure of 8 connection from the transformer to the plug, so you could switch it and see if that's the issue.

You almost certainly have another figure of 8 plug connector in the house that you can swap it out with. Take a look at any hifis, radios, tvs, printers etc.

Sorry, I meant the charging port, not the plug connector. Thanks anyway, man :D

• Advertisement

That´s the thing! I understand if it´s not easy to find the problem the would need more time to find it and then they could charge me for that, I agree with that. However, there are many times the issue is so obvious they can find it with a quick check and they charge you around 40 euros, is that fair?

Bacchus wrote: »
    What was the solution the first time?

Is it a new laptop or 2nd hand? How old? Make?

The solution? they had to change the motherboard as the charging port was attached to it. It´s a 4 years old new laptop that I bought in Spain. Everything is perfect in it but the charging port is so loose that it´s impossible to charge it.

PC Services on Woods Street, off Washington Street, do a free check on your computer and then let you know how much the repair will cost. Certainly was like that for me about six months ago when one of my laptops went wonky. They took it in and rang me a couple of days later telling me what was wrong and how much it would cost to fix it. I found them to be very good.

Oh, thanks very much!!! That´s the info I was looking for, man :D

The solution? they had to change the motherboard as the charging port was attached to it. It´s a 4 years old new laptop that I bought in Spain. Everything is perfect in it but the charging port is so loose that it´s impossible to charge it.

Ah, it's a loose charging port. So you know what the problem is. Is it that the port itself is loose in the laptop or is it that, when plugged in, the connection is very sensitive or is it that the charger just keeps slipping out?

Have you been able to test it with another charger? That'd at least rule one thing out for sure.

Advertisement