Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Oral OL/HL Reception

Options
  • 24-11-2014 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

So when you go into the oral, the examiner looks for 5 pieces of information. Problem. How do I find out my name and address in irish ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭coolerboy

So when you go into the oral, the examiner looks for 5 pieces of information. Problem. How do I find out my name and address in irish ?

Theres a site called http://www.logainm.ie/ga/ just type your address into the searchbar or use the map beneath :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 IncognitoX

Ask your teacher.

Surely you know your name in Irish anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

coolerboy wrote: »
    Theres a site called http://www.logainm.ie/ga/ just type your address into the searchbar or use the map beneath :)

Brilliant. Thanks. I got my county and town but not my street

IncognitoX wrote: »
    Ask your teacher.

Surely you know your name in Irish anyway?

I don't have a teacher. There's a few variations of my surname none of which are really right I think.

So what's happening? The examiner has my actual name and address in front of them in English ? So I have to give my real address ? Because I live in an estate and that scuppers my chance of giving a story that I am living on a farm which could take up a minute naming all the animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

My name is essentially already in Irish but why on earth would I give it to them in Irish if it wasn't? That wouldn't be my name.

• Advertisement

Cr4pSnip3r wrote: »
    My name is essentially already in Irish but why on earth would I give it to them in Irish if it wasn't? That wouldn't be my name.

Ah so I give my name and address in english and my age, date of birth and exam number in irish ?

Ah so I give my name and address in english and my age, date of birth and exam number in irish ?

Everything in Irish but your name is your name. I would give that as it is, and if that's in English - so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 IncognitoX

Give your name in Irish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭PeterJC!

Yeah definitely give your name As Gaeilge! No point in being pedantic, you want to win you're examiner over!

Listen to those fellas, I guess. I absolutely despise the idea of changing one's name as part of language revival (even if it was probably anglicized in the past) and I may be a little bitter. Don't want to be an ass and affect your grade, though.

EDIT: Just to be sure; I didn't tell you to say your name in English before as some sort of self satisfaction thing. I had never heard anything about this changing your name business until recently and not from any teachers I know.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the advice. I will get an Irish name for myself and if it's wrong sure it's only 1 mark :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

I know this is a little OT, but I have an oral this day week and have the whole package coming up.

Problem is is that I have only done about 3 sraithpictiur and of course there's seventeen others that I barely recognise. Anyone know what's the most efficient way of covering all of them in say 6 hours? Or even a link to where I could find some notes on them would be greatly appreciated.

All the vocab that is required is all areas which I haven't looked at since the JC, holidays, birthdays etc which are all extremely rusty, annoyingly.

Advertisement