Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting rid of car as scrap?

Options
  • 24-11-2014 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

My car is lying up at the back of my house for the last 2 months. I rang the community warden to get it takenbaway , he said no bother, someone will be out 1 of the days and it's free of charge. Nobody has ever come for it!

My brother has 2 cars he needs rid of. He tells me a guy is coming to collect them and my brother is being charged €110.

I thought there was a time when the guys collecting the scrap paid a few hundred quid for the car?

I'm asking here coz every second person I ask tells me different.

What do I actually need to do, and will I be paid for the scrap?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

Nono Toure wrote: »
    My car is lying up at the back of my house for the last 2 months. I rang the community warden to get it takenbaway , he said no bother, someone will be out 1 of the days and it's free of charge. Nobody has ever come for it!

My brother has 2 cars he needs rid of. He tells me a guy is coming to collect them and my brother is being charged €110.

I thought there was a time when the guys collecting the scrap paid a few hundred quid for the car?

Thanks
    I got a van taken away gavee 150 but charged 50 to collect. Where abouts are u

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Contact your local fire brigade. Dublin fire brigade take them away for free for their training.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Just make sure if you're giving a car away that you either do the whole change of ownership thing or you get a certificate of destruction. Especially important if dealing with strangers since the last thing you want is a litter fine because the stripped down shell was found dumped in a bog somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Give it a wash, pump up the tyres and put it up on Done Deal for €250.
    Let someone beat you down to €150 and they'll think they got a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Nono Toure wrote: »

Thanks

You always get more if you bring the cars to an approved dismantler and it's strictly by weight.

What ever you or your brother does, do not give your VLC cert to anyone who is not approved. Alternatively if someone does buy them, get their details and fill out the change of ownership and post the Vlc's.

As a curiosity,

What 3 cars are being scrapped?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭scrap_man

Unless they are bare shells, you should in no way be getting charged to take them. What area are you in? I can point you in the direction of somebody that will buy the cars or at least collect them free of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

I would be interested in this in dublin 15

Advertisement