Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is LC important for postgraduate studies?

Options
  • 24-11-2014 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hi,
    I finished my LC last year and got 530 points. That means I got 60 points more than what I need for my course, but the problem is that I failed HL English.
    Now, my year head suggested me to resit only English this year, because I had to defer a year in college.
    My question is: If I, later in life, want to do postgraduate studies and get MSc or PhD in my area of study, will they be asking for my Leaving Cert results?
    Because with an E grade I can't get into some colleges, no matter my points, but eventually I can get into UCD. So, will those colleges (such as Trinity) require me to have pass in English if I want to do postgraduate studies there?

Honestly, I am not willing to resit English again, that's why I'm asking this, but if that's gonna be my "bad tail" in years to come, I will rather do in now.

EDIT: Also, is it going to be important at any point in my life (such as getting a job for example)? Because I'm actively speaking English for two years only, and by "actively" I mean speaking at school, I still speak my native language at home. So that's the main reason why I failed, but I'm sure my English will improve over the years, especially when I start living on campus where "English only" regime will be forced.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They won't ask about your Leaving Cert. results for post-graduate courses, but they will require a certain level of English to be used in writing up your dissertation(s) so you may possibly have a problem there. You won't get a good level of English only by speaking it, you will need to read good quality writing (academic and non-academic) in the English language too.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

A pass in English even at ordinary level may be needed to get through the initial computerised screening process that some large corporations engage in as part of their recruitment process. You should do ordinary level english for the leaving cert this year and you will pass.

Advertisement