Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Downsizing Astra for cheap student car

Options
  • 24-11-2014 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hey lads, hoping I might get some advice here on what to do about my car. Currently have an 06 Opel Astra, will get about 5K if I sell it now hopefully. Only have it 1 year. I'm planning to go back to college next September so thinking of downsizing the car now to get some cash in the bank and going with a smaller car. Hopefully something small and cheap to run for when I am in college as I'll be a broke student. I had a 99 Clio for 5 years until I traded it in last year and I kind of wish I had kept it now! Want to keep the tax and insurance as low as possible and also petrol costs down. Any advice welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I think you maybe over estimating how much you might get for the astra I'm afraid. I wouldn't say you would get much over €3,500. At which point keeping the car maybe a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭loopylulu

Paid just under 6K a year ago, see similar ones up for sale from 4K to 6K now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Did you buy it off a dealer?

I wouldn't trade down anyway, if you owe money towards a loan I'd look at restructuring the repayments towards paying less, and free up income that way. Don't forget, buying a cheaper, older car could mean repair bills which would eat into any profit.

Yes off a dealer. Paid cash so have no loan or finance on it. Own it outright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

There's your answer as to why you paid nearly €6k. Dealers charge a premium that you won't be able to.

If your car isn't giving you any trouble, keep it, and look at getting a student loan or part-time job to fund college. (Both much easier said than done I realise!)

Now had you have said a €20k car, financed, the situation would be much different...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,186 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A 06 Astra is now nearly 9 years old, not a hope of getting near €5k for it. What people ask for them on the net and what they actually sell for them are two different things, plus dealer prices include a warranty. There are alot of 06 Astras for sale on donedeal for well under €4k.

If the car is running well then I'd keep it. While you could save a few quid by selling it and buying something else cheap, you could potentially be spending money on another car. At least with your Astra you know if it's good or bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Thing is OP if, as other posters have said, your car is likely to only get maybe €3,500, then to get any decent bit of spare cash for college through changing your car you're really going to have to go for something around €1,500 to make it worth your while, and then at that point how do you know that whatever you buy for that cash is going to go the distance? Because one thing you don't want while putting yourself through college, is unexpected car costs.
    Not saying you aren't competent to buy a car, but shít happens.

Thanks for the replies! Food for thought indeed...
    I just figured I would need something cheaper to run for the 4 years of college.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

You'd be lucky to get 3.5k too imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

As was said above if the car is reliable keep it. At 3500 it's not worth selling it to buy something cheaper and tbh even at 3500 I don't think there would exactly be a queue of people outside your door to buy it. In an ideal world it's great to think you can go out and buy a car for 1000 euro and drive it for four years and it won't cause you an once of trouble. In reality any car for 1k or so euro is more likely to be a money pit than not.

• Advertisement
Advertisement